TLM Diagram 11A Covered Carriage Truck

Our range of 4mm scale wagon bodies and kits
Alan K

Re: TLM Diagram 11A Covered Carriage Truck

Post by Alan K » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Interesting! It's not that common - most examples I've seen don't have coupling links. I can't see because of the angle of your picture, but the coupling links must be arranged to be slightly off-centre as otherwise they would touch the AJ wire and possibly interfere with its functionality.

Alan

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:05 pm

I actually let the links hang slightly off-centre and they hold the AJ very slightly over to the right (as you look at it head on). I find this presses the couplings together slightly and keeps them coupled better. It's only by about the thickness of the wire, 8thou in my case. Probably not an issue in the larger (4mm and above) scales.

Jim W

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:20 am

Well, I have been sorting out all my stock. My policy now is to have short rakes with 3 links within the rake and magnetic ajs on the end of the rake. That end with the 3 link screw will become an inner end, so they will generally run as a pair. In reality its a way of running a practical model railway whilst fighting with ageing eyesight.

Although its rotten video this gives the idea;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -no-hands/

MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:09 pm

peterbunce wrote:
Interestingly are the spoked wheels, the Dia. 11A has the Mansell wheels; any idea when they changed them please?

Peter.
There doesn't seem to be any logical reason why the Diagram 83 van had spoked wheels (it's the only one that has been photographed as far as I know). If there was going to be a change from Mansell wheels at the time they were constructed, the new wheels would have been steel disc.

Likewise, I have never understood why some carriages in the 1880s had spoked wheels (Carriage Book pp. 140 and 142). The widespread use of Mansell wheels was because their construction made them slightly resilient and the ride of a spoked wheel carriage would have been harder.

Best

Mike

Alan K

Post by Alan K » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:49 pm

Thanks for that Jim. I like it! It just so happens that I've just embarked on an AJ fitting/tweaking exercise, and I will try your method out. Just one further question: presumably you fix the top link to the hook to give the offset, but do the lower 2 links swing free or are they restrained (by soldering or otherwise) to hang vertically as one unit?
I've decided to standardise the dropper on the version Chris Pendlenton showed in the MRJ article in 2013 - the one he calls the 'clipped U', and have a tub of these made up ready to fit to all my wagons. And I've rigged up an electromagnet on my test track so that I can test each wagon for coupling/uncoupling as I go along - so just the right time to check out your arrangement!
Dave I've also thought about having rakes connected permanently - it would make sense for me to have rakes of empty wagons for movement in and out of the Goods Shed. I like your idea of mechanically applied magnets as an alternative to electromagnets, and I think that if I find I need more uncoupling points, I'll go for magnets instead like you've done.
Apologies for hijacking the D11A CCT thread, guys.

Alan

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:16 pm

Alan, if you have the Alex Jackson book, p25/6 will show you how I mount my couplings. I tend to arrange the main part of the coupling to cross the headstock slightly off-centre to the right and then a slight bend to bring the tip of the coupling nearer the centre line. I just let all of the links hang free. They can get a wee bit tangled from time to time, but not usually to the detriment of the AJ's working.

I've just finished some Dia 21 and 22 wagons tonight and taken an end shot of one of the Dia 22's which I hoped would show the arrangement but it's not terribly clear. It's difficult to get clear close-up photos of 2mm stuff!
DSC_0595.JPG
DSC_0595.JPG (102.26 KiB) Viewed 19281 times
Jim W

Alan K

Post by Alan K » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks for that Jim. I do indeed have the AJ Handbook and did read your contribution, but I missed noticing the links attached in 2 of the pictures (and you don't mention it in the text). I have now tried it and I agree it doesn't seem to affect the working of the coupling. But the 3 links do get affected by the magnetic field when the electromagnet is activated, and move like a cobra swaying to the snake charmer's pipe!! Maybe a brass bottom link might be needed...!

Alan

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Alan K wrote:........... But the 3 links do get affected by the magnetic field when the electromagnet is activated, and move like a cobra swaying to the snake charmer's pipe!! Maybe a brass bottom link might be needed...!

Alan
Ah! Of course I use phosphor bronze wire for both the couplings and the links. Two reasons for that. If you use steel wire for the AJ's in 2MM, the magnetism causes the two couplings to stick together and so they both come down. Secondly, it tarnishes to a nice 'rusty' brown!

Jim W

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Super work Dave. I said you would be the first with finished CCTs!

Tony B

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Super work Dave. I said you would be the first to finish the CCTs.

Tony B

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Heh, cheers Tony.

Mind you, it was a great kit. I made a couple of modifications. The chassis is held to the body with small self tappers , 2 mm ish behind the wheels at each end. I also cheated a bit with the buffers.

Paint is just halfords Ford Burgandy red. For the louvres I mixed stone and yellow enamel. When dry I used a very old soft pencil ( 4B ? ish) , sharpened it well then just ran it under each louvre.

Really it does show what can be done with well designed masters prepared and cut on the silhouette then assembled and sent for resin casting. Many thanks to all involved.

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Bases for Brake Components

Those of us who have assembled underframes for the CCT will know that one of the most awkward jobs is soldering the cast white metal brake components into the underframe. To make life a little easier I mounted mine on some scraps of etch brass with a new support and then glued these to the underframe with 5 minute Araldite. As usual the photo says it all.
Brake Components Forum.jpg
Brake Components Forum.jpg (188.18 KiB) Viewed 19082 times
Tony B

Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:35 am

I have started assembling one of Tony's excellent kits. The instructions provided elsewhere on this site are very helpful. One thing that has dogged me a little at first is the removal of the web of resin from the window to create a clear space for glazing. I am going for two clear lights each side. At first, I drilled holes reasonably near the corners and attempted to join them up with a sharp blade. This was when I discovered that resin is quite brittle. A (in scale terms) great gash appeared taking in part of the droplight woodwork. I have redeemed the situation by taking away all the droplight woodwork on one side of the opening and adding a strip of plastikard. I have found that the resin is easy to work by paring away along an edge with a sharp blade so that, under my lit magnifier, I can get the window opening pretty closely cut out. Any chinks can be gently cut across and then pared away. The inside edge of the resin seems to be left with some roughness but careful paring there cures it. I hope I can prevent anyone else making such a slip up! Best wishes, Graham

LarryC

Post by LarryC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Dave

Your models are superb. I'm just sending off an order on the strength of seeing them.

Larry

peterbunce

Post by peterbunce » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Hi,

In the new copy of the very interesting 'The True Line' on page 31, the CCT behind the loco, which may be one of the later slightly longer ones,(the ticket board has changed ends, to the same as the 6 wheel CCT) there is a handbrake shown.

I thought there must be one (how do you keep it stopped on a gradient when the brakes, over time, 'leak off'?

Mine are a scale 7 feet long and would I think be one fitted later increasing to one each side.

Peter

Coronach

Post by Coronach » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:59 pm

I’ve spent an enjoyable couple of hours assembling the underframe for the first of my pair. It’s really well designed and tomorrow I should be able to finish off the brake gear and add the cast details. I’ve managed this without instructions but all seems OK. The only issue I have is that the completed assembly is a smidgen wide for the underside of the body so I guess the inside of the solebars will need a bit of milling tomorrow too.
No great problem if you take care though.
The Diagram 11a seems to be an ideal weekend project.

Dave.

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:41 am

Dave
'
I think I did mention this in the instructions that you managed without!

I scraped the inside of the solebars gently with a sharp craft knife with the end of the blade broken off so it doesn't go through the floor. You won't have to remove much.

Tony B

Coronach

Post by Coronach » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks Tony. A bit of scraping and it fits like a glove! :)