TLM Diagram 59 16-ton Mineral Wagon

Our range of 4mm scale wagon bodies and kits
tony brenchley

TLM Diagram 59 16-ton Mineral Wagon

Post by tony brenchley » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Those of you who follow TLM closely will know that we have been working toward this wagon for some months. I am pleased to say that I now have all the component parts including the special brake gear etches and can accept your orders.

The Diagram 59 wagon was the Caledonian's final mineral wagon development. It achieved the objective set by the Board in 1900 to "approve the principle of the Company obtaining wagons with much larger capacity for the conveyance of locomotive coal and other suitable traffics...."

Our model represents the wagons built from 1903 to 1915 with steel underframes and the simplified end door with 3 iron hoops. St Rollox Works built nearly 4,000 wagons to this design and contractors added another 1,250. After 1915 wooden underframes were used due to war time shortages and there were other small design differences. Full details are given in Mike Williams' Caledonian Wagons book.

The wagon kit includes a one-piece moulded resin body, etched brass brake gear and white metal castings to complete. The price for CRA members is £14 each, plus £4 postage and packing for any quantity. Orders can be sent to me preferably by email at [email protected]. Payment should be made by one of the methods set out in the attached note. Our Treasurer is usually very quick to let me know a payment has been made and I usually despatch immediately

For this wagon I can offer the option of fixed cast w-irons with springs and axleboxes, or spring and axlebox castings for use with etched brass w-irons. The level of demand from members for the fixed w-irons is now quite low and I plan to phase out this option with the current batch of wagons. When the current stock is sold out I will supply the spring and axlebox castings only. For your current order please specify which option you need. If you don't specify you will get spring and axlebox castings.

We have enough brake etches for another batch of 50 Diagram 59 wagons. These could either be to the design of the current batch, the earlier wagons with heavy wooden framed end doors similar to the diagram 46 mineral wagons or post 1915 with wooden underframes. Please let me know your preference and the number you would buy.

And finally to remind you I have limited stocks of other TLM wagons. The Diagram 3 Drummond vans are still available at £11.50 each plus postage as above. I have a handful of Covered Carriage Truck kits with special etched underframe and a full set of white metal and lost wax castings at £20 each. See the CRA Forum for photos and construction notes. Please contact me at the email address given above for further details.

Have a very happy and prosperous New Year.

Tony B
Payments for True Line Models.docx
(13.21 KiB) Downloaded 594 times

tony brenchley

Re: TLM Diagram 59 16-ton Mineral Wagon

Post by tony brenchley » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:59 pm

TLM Diagram 3 Van Kits

I gave the members price for these as £11.50 in an earlier post. They should of course be £11.70. Not much difference but enough for some who paid the correct price to comment I suspect! Price for non-members is £13.

Tony B

Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:11 pm

The detail on the body is phenomenal, even on the inside. Problem is, I'll want to run them empty all the time! Well done Tony and whatever team is involved. Graham

iainkirk

Post by iainkirk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:22 pm

I can only agree that these beasties are very good - bravo 8-)

Now as to another batch? Re -

We have enough brake etches for another batch of 50 Diagram 59 wagons. These could either be to the design of the current batch, the earlier wagons with heavy wooden framed end doors similar to the diagram 46 mineral wagons or post 1915 with wooden underframes. Please let me know your preference and the number you would buy.

Post 1915 would be very nice please, I would certainly have at least a couple...
May we have the clarity to see our work, the courage to embrace it, and the capacity to discharge it.
Robert Fripp