True Line Models up-date

Our range of 4mm scale wagon bodies and kits
tony brenchley

True Line Models up-date

Post by tony brenchley » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:37 am

There has been no progress with new kts from True Line Models as the last two suggestions, a pre-Drummond loco coal wagon and open goods wagon, did not attract sufficient support to proceed. In the meantime other projects have been considered and we now have a range of options.

I think the pre-Drummond wagons are worth doing as both prototypes would have been in use in quantity at least until 1914, but I accept that they are not so attractive to people modelling later periods.

We could proceed with these if we produce smaller batches, 30 rather than our usual 50. We should be able to clear the smaller amounts without creating large unsold stocks and the consequent cost to the CRA. This will increase the price as the fixed costs are the same spread over a smaller number of units. I can’t give prices at this stage as we have not fixed the castings content but I estimate that it will be around £2 per wagon more than previous wagons. This still represents very good value.

The other choices for new projects at present are a cask wagon and a pre-Drummond 6-ton roof door van. I would also like to do some further kits for NPCS vehicles following the success of the CCT.

As usual I am looking for positive and reliable commitments to all or any of these projects. We will spread them over a reasonable period so nobody will have to spend a lot of money at one time but it is important to get these commitments now to prioritise activity and justify moving ahead.

I want to use the Forum to record everybody’s commitment so we can all monitor the level of interest in each project. I would therefore ask each of you to confirm your interest in each of the four projects mentioned with the number of each wagon you would purchase assuming the prices are reasonable and the content follows our usual format. We are committed to maintaining the established quality

To summarise these are
1. A 1870s loco coal wagon with solid buffers, as per page 259 of Mike Williams' wagon book
2. A pre-diagram book (i.e. pre-Drummond) open, probably an 8-ton wagon with sprung buffers and as late a prototype for which we have sufficient information
3. An empty cask wagon for which there are a number of prototypes to choose from, see Mike’s book
4. A pre-diagram book 6-ton roof door van, again refer to Mike’s book

To get the ball rolling my interest and commitment is;
Coal wagon 0
Open 4
Cask wagon 2
Roof door van 2

Tony B

David Blevins

Re: True Line Models up-date

Post by David Blevins » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:30 pm

I would be Interested in the 1870 Loco Coal Wagon only.
I was too late the last time this was brought up, too much dithering on my part!
My Order would be for 6 if it your plans work out.
Let's hope there are more CRA Members willing to take up this latest venture by True Line Models.
Perhaps only advertising on the Forum limits our potential customers, there is talk of Facebook on another thread on the Forum, and the Sales of True Line Models seems to go very fast via the CRA Sales Stand at Exhibitions I seem to remember.
David Blevins.

John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi Tony
My interest would be:
Coal wagon 2
Open 2
Cask wagon 2
Roof door van 2

(It would have been easier to say two of each!)

Many thanks for the continuing efforts with these models!

Cheers

Join

dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:15 pm

With regard to the roof door vans, is it the intention to include the roof door as part of the kit? That is so prominent and characteristic a feature of these vehicles, but not entirely easy to model.

I would make a firm commitment for four of the Pre Drummond open goods wagons, and two of the roof door vans (subject to my query above)

Regards
Allan Ferguson

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:00 am

Roof Door Van

Allan and everybody

We will probably follow the format already used by Bill Bedford on his LNWR van of a one piece body with a separate moulding for the roof incorporating all the relevant detail.

Tony B

Alan K

Post by Alan K » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Unfortunately only the cask wagon would fit into my scheme of things. I'd commit to 2 of these. If only it had been the D67 roof door van....!

Alan

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:52 am

Further options

Mike Williams has reminded me that he originally proposed to include removable raves for the pre-Drummond open to convert it to a sheep carrier.

He also proposed a earlier brake van c.1870s. Would you please also indicate your interest in the brake van.

Tony B

MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:08 pm

A diagram 67 van is entirely possible, Alan

Here's one I prepared earlier - painting not finished and transfers not complete

Best

Mike
Attachments
DSC_0686.JPG
DSC_0686.JPG (58.98 KiB) Viewed 20385 times

RossB

Post by RossB » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:49 pm

I would be interested in the following Tony:

Coal wagon 1
Open 3
Cask wagon 1
Roof door van 1
Break Van 2

Ross

John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi Tony
I would be interested in one of the 1870s brake vans.
Cheers
John

Alan K

Post by Alan K » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:56 am

Well if a D67 roof door van is a possibility Mike, then I'd like 2 in addition to the 2 cask wagons!

Alan

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:46 am

Tony,
I would wish:
Loco coal wagon - 1
Open (with sheep facilities) - 2
Empty cask wagon - 1
6-ton roof van - 2
Brake van - 1

Jim

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Have you noticed I tend to make wagons in pairs ?

I am happy to put my name down for two of anything Tony.

( I have a scratchbuilt early empty cask wagon and a converted sheep wagon, but you can never have too many wagons )

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Is it possible to produce Gauge 0 Wagon Models (in 7mm scale) ?
David Blevins.

jasp

Post by jasp » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:42 pm

David,
The simple answer is yes, but, costings have yet to be established.
Remember that 7mm models require significantly increased amounts for the mould and the casting.
Mike Williams is keen to progress certain wagons, but costings, timescale etc. ..........?
Jim P

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Mike Williams,
I am a supporter of the idea of Caledonian Railway 7mm (Gauge 0) Wagons. Let's hope we can get this Project off the ground - Good Luck with your endeavours.
David Blevins.

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:10 pm

Up-date on up-date

So far none of the wagons proposed has attracted anywhere near sufficient support to proceed, i.e. 25-30 units.

This is very disappointing as there are a lot of regular customers for TLM in the CRA who have not yet responded. Can I ask everybody to reply to the Forum so we make some decisions about any future program. We have now missed the opportunity to get any new kit ready in time for the Glasgow exhibition.

I would emphasise that any wagons that attract sufficient orders will constitute the program for the next couple of years so the cost to you will be spread over this period.

Tony B.

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:10 pm

Tony, I'm sorry you haven't received the interest required to start the ball rolling with the suggested vehicles.
As you know I've been quite prolific in my goods vehicle production with the Silhouette cutter and have now built everything on the proposed lists so would be only be duplication my exicisting stock.
While I realise from previous comments by some members on this forum that the Silhouette doesn't produce models to the standard they think desirable you've seen the results of my efforts and know there perfectly acceptable for me so I will continue to build what I need by this method.
I still think an early dumb buffer mineral bogie would be a popular choice for a future true lines project but what ever you choose I hope you have more success generating interest in the future.
Steve

Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 am

Hi Tony,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I had spent some time wondering what the best subjects wood be for new products (basically using Mike's book as awish list).
All of the options fit my " High Caledonian" modelling period so -

Coal wagon 4 - I know the intention is to produce one of the pre-Drummond diagrams that feature in the background of so many engine shed pictures (very few of us have the luxury of modelling the larger sheds which would take delivery in a Diag 54 Bogie Coal Wagon. Because of the need to source outside W irons again we could do the slightly later Drummond Diag 21 of which 600 were produced up to 1891, also mainly used for loco coal. Not as distinctive as a model, though, being almost a stretched Diag 22.
Open 4 especially if the sheep stave option is available.
Cask wagon 4 - Rosebank (triple-distilled lowland malt) Distillery on my Camelon layout currently seem to receive all their empty casks from NBR sites (Ratio)
Roof door van 3 -either type -The Bill Bedford LNWR splits underframe/body as below but the initial production run is sold out.
BB LNWR Roof Door Van kit.jpg
BB LNWR Roof Door Van kit.jpg (71 KiB) Viewed 19816 times
I have a part completed one of these -less complete than Mike's but probably too far gone to use as a master, and it's only taken 20 years to get to this stage! The fact that my eyesight seems to prevent me producing work to this level (it's the getting the bolts aligned and spaced) is exactly why I need resin bodies.
Diag 67 Early copy.jpg
Diag 67 Early copy.jpg (113.2 KiB) Viewed 19816 times
1870's Brake Vans 2 really but I would buy 3 if it helps.

There are less obvious gaps left to fill,(not replicating those available elsewhere), but both have been available as resin kits in 7mm
Diag 13 Rail wagon -lots of uses espescially as the wagon book casts considerable doubt on their suitability for the task they were designed for. The later Diag 60s would have lasted longer but you loose the option of bissel truck underframes and option of use as a crane runner -both feature on this pic! The y seemed to appear in a number of locations where the Appendices to the WTT suggest they were banned.
Diag13 converted to Crane Runner copy.jpg
Diag13 converted to Crane Runner copy.jpg (92.34 KiB) Viewed 19816 times
Not too difficult to scratch build but.. attractive longer vehicle.
Diag 14 Swivel Wagon Probably run with the above to carry standard rail lengths but usually run in pairs or triples (could sell in pairs or singles).
As above but attractive shorter vehicle!

Finally a left field suggestion -would a tank wagon be possible -someone exibited one at Scaleforum some years back.

Dave L

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks Dave for your provisional order and further suggestions. I hope this inspires other people to commit.

Tony B

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Any "News" on the progress of the proposed CR Wagon Kits.
It has been rather quiet of late, a pity we don't have a "Newsletter" distributed with the True Line like other societies to keep their Members up to date on what the Committee is deliberating, new strategies, progress on kits or general interesting facts on how the CRA is progressing.
David Blevins.

jasp

Post by jasp » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:25 pm

David
I believe that Tony Brenchley’s recent postings summarise the current situation re TLM
Jim P

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:43 pm

It's been over a Month now without any "news" and an update would have been helpful.
I was going to suggest a type of crowdfunding in that I would "up" my order to see if we can reach the minimum required and that would cover the cost, and if demand exceeds expectations we could sell the surplus via the CRA Stand and so reach a bigger customer base, who "Impulse Buy" at Model Railway Exhibitions.
Anyway, it is a suggestion, rather than let True Line Models wither and die, especially when so much effort and time has taken place in trying to create Caledonian Railway Wagon Models.
Hoping to hear some positive news.

David Blevins.

PeterS

Post by PeterS » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:37 pm

Tony
Sorry to be so late on the scene.
I would be interested in the following:-
Loco coal wagons 4
Open wagons with raves 2
Cask wagon 1
Box van 1
Break vans 2
Regards
Peter

jasp

Post by jasp » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 am

Please remember that this is an enterprise run by volunteers, thus does not have the impetus of a commercial organisation.
The CRA Committee are agreed that support for TLM should continue and we would hope for, perhaps, two new vehiclesh a year.
Tony Brenchley is, however, off to New Zealand for a couple of months so there will not be any progress soon.
Regarding a newsletter, this has come up on a number of occasions in the past but has not been undertaken for a number of reasons, not least being manpower.
The Committee has, however, agreed that Committee meeting minutes will be posted on the Members’ area of the Forum, after they have been approved, ie after the following meeting.
Jim P