empty cask wagon
pre-diagram 6-ton roof door van
1870'2 brake van
the wagon with sheep raves.

WILLIE COOPER

tony brenchley

Re: True Line Models up-date

Post by tony brenchley » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Greetings to everyone from New Zealand. Yes I am really here and won't be able to do much on TLM until my return.

Almost my first activity on my return is to get up to Carlisle for the AGM. A few more pre-orders have come in since I last reviewed progress and we might be near the magic number for one or two of the proposed wagons. We will review progress and the future of TLM at the AGM.

Please post your pre-order on the Forum if you have not already done so. One or two more orders might make the difference.

To all of you stuck in the frozen north - have a good Christmas and New Year

Tony B

theparley

Post by theparley » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:26 pm

Tony,
Because I became extensively involved in two modelling projects, neither of which were Caley or LMS related, I have been absent from the Caley Forum scene over the last two of three months. I therefore missed your TLM proposals. My apologies.
My requirements are:
3 x Coal wagons
3 x Open Wagons (if it's a deal clincher, I could increase this)
Zero Cask wagons (Sorry)
3 x Roof Door Vans

Reading through the earlier posts and adding my own thoughts:

1. Could you perhaps think about writing to all previous TLM customers to further publicise the new offerings as an encouragement to buy.
2. Make use of Facebook ?
3. Could you ask the Committee to develop a strategy to broaden the customer base ?
4. The "impulse buyer" approach at exhibitions is a good idea but it's chicken and egg. We need something to sell.
5. Reduce the qualifying number of orders (again) and raise the price accordingly.
6. Rails of Sheffield required a deposit for the "812". Could TLM use this approach rather than a "commitment" one ?
7. Spreading the production over time is sensible.

There seems a danger that TLM might not survive. I don't think the membership would want that, but they have to step up to avoid that outcome.

Although this post poses questions, there's no need to address these until you get back. You're on holiday Tony. Just enjoy yourself in the wall-to-wall scenery that is New Zealand.

Best regards,

Douglas Teenan

jasp

Post by jasp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:21 am

In addition to new offerings, the Committee have decided to look into the feasibility of producing further batches of previously available wagons.
For information, these are:
D10 cattle wagon
RY Pickering PO wagon
D22 mineralwagon, dumb buffer
D46 mineral
D3 van
D59 16 ton mineral
D11A CCT
With the exception of D59 and D11A which require etches, all are straightforward to produce.
It would be helpful if individuals interested in any of the above could advise Tony Brenchley of their requirements by email, rather than on the forum.
Email address: [email protected]
Tony will not be back from New Zealand till 7th March
Jim P

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 pm

Trial message.

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:59 pm

Thanks Jim

I have been trying to reply to the points made by Douglas. TLM was originally conceived as a service for CRA members. We have kept it small, neat and cheap for this purpose. We do sell to non-members who discover TLM on the website and at exhibitions at marked up prices.

We could attempt to market TLM to a wider audience and by different methods, however I am not convinced this would result in significantly greater sales. There would of course by greater costs involved, not least of which would be more appropriate packaging.

I am comfortable with the current level of activity and the surprising amount of my time it takes. If somebody wishes to try to take TLM to a higher level I would give my full support.

The good news is that Douglas's stated interest probably means we can now consider a batch of pre-Drummond opens. These will be supplied with optional sheep raves that you can bin if unwanted. I will get this moving when I return frim NZ.

Tony B
Last edited by tony brenchley on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:04 am

Sorry about the typos. I am using my wife's laptop which is not very tolerant of my typing. I am sure you will all understand the message.

Tony B

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:04 am

Sorry about the typos. I am using my wife's laptop which is not very tolerant of my typing. I am sure you will all understand the message.

Tony B

lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:54 am

No problems with your typos, Tony.

Just use the Edit or Delete facilities to correct your entries. I'll be deleting this post in a few days to keep the thread clearer. Now you see it, now.....

Lindsay

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:03 pm

Thanks Lindsay. You will see I have edited my post to remove the typos. How do I delete the unwanted posts? Tony B

Craig

Post by Craig » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 pm

Hi Tony,

Sorry for the late reply, please put me down for:
Coal wagon: 2
pre-Drummond open with optional sheep raves: 6
Cask wagon: If D12 then 2; if D74 then 0
Roof door van: 2

Thanks
Craig

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Any "NEWS" or Updates on the CR Wagons?
I sometimes wonder if the "Forum" is the best way of communicating with Members as it seems to have died a death since the Problems earlier in the Year. Everyone seems to have shied away from the CRA Forum Site for quite a while now, perhaps discouraged or frustrated. Let's Hope "things" will improve with some kind of positive News in the near future.
David Blevins.

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:15 pm

Prompted by David's post here is an up date.

We have decided to proceed with a kit for the pre-Drummond open wagon, Wagon Book page 192. The manufacturers have advised that the proposed sheep raves would require a separate mould. This would double the cost of the wagon bodies so we have decided against this. Mike Williams will prepare some instructions for fabricating these from plastikard.

These wagons were built with w-irons inside the solebars and rebuilt with standard underframe components, buffers, springs and axleboxes from around 1900 onwards. I will supply these with the kit.

Mike Williams is still working on the pattern and I will post a note when I have received the bodies and can confirm the price.

As for previous projects I will only accept orders by email and payment will be direct to our Treasurer Sinclair Coghill, preferably by Paypal. I am notified immediately a Paypal payment is made cutting out some bureaucracy and getting the kits to you quicker.

Tony B

Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:24 am

If you wanted to increase the size of the batch and reduce unit cost may I suggest a note to the Newsletters of associated railway societies? As an LNWRS member I'd not seen much about TLM until I joined the CRA and a few of their members might want the odd model.

Just a suggestion IF you wanted to increase sales.

Mike

Orbiston

Post by Orbiston » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 pm

Why don't we produce the tender attached to the pug? Hornby must have produced these in their thousands. Surely we could all retire on the profits :D

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Sun May 05, 2019 12:20 pm

I am happy to arrange the manufacture of anyone's favourite prototype but we need a pattern first and enough orders to justify manufacture, usually a minimum of 30.
Tony B

Coronach

Post by Coronach » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:33 am

I’ve been out of the loop for some time, Tony. Life has been somewhat frantic and occasionally strange over the last year but I’d be interested in three opens and if they go ahead two of the roof door vans.

Davy.

John Duffy

Post by John Duffy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Tony, has there been any canvass of modellers working in 7mm to try and gauge if there is any interest in developing some of these items in that scale?

John

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:20 am

TLM 7mm models

We are aware of the significant group of 7mm scale modellers in the CRA who would like some wagons. To be fair the 7mm market was a lot better served in the past by various small manufacturers although a lot of these are no longer available.

My earlier comment stands in that we need a pattern and the promise of a reasonable quantity of sales to justify the investment in a mould.

Mike Williams was working on a 7mm pattern for the RYP traders wagon that was our first 4mm project. He had this part completed at the CRA AGM. Mike said he would probably do this as a individual project rather than under the TLM banner. I am sure he will let us know when there is some progress.

Tony B

Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:58 pm

If some 7mm kits are no longer available has anyone contacted the manufacturer(s) to see whether the tooling could be bought? Which manufacturers were they?

Mike

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Mike
A number of wagon kits and their manufacturers are included in the CRA Modelling list. If you don't have a copy I can email it to you. It is quite a long time since the last update of the list so I can't vouch for its current accuracy.
Tony B

Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Thank you Tony, yes please. As a relatively new member I didn't know the list existed.

Mike

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Mike-
Please email me on
[email protected]
I will send by return.
Tony B

Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:01 pm

Done, thank you Tony.

Sinclair

Post by Sinclair » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:28 pm

Note that the latest version of the list is also available to members of the Association through the Forum here as a Sticky Post at the top of the Association Resources section.

Sinclair