Morton Brake Gear

Our range of 4mm scale wagon bodies and kits
theparley

Morton Brake Gear

Post by theparley » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:32 pm

I am not sure if the CRA02 8ft 6 ins Morton Brake Gear etch was specially commissioned by TLM or whether it can be purchased elsewhere. Can anyone please help ?

Also, I recall reading somewhere that the D.22 in private owner hands had a different brake from the CR version. Does anyone have details, as well as a supplier ?

Douglas Teenan

jasp

Re: Morton Brake Gear

Post by jasp » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:05 am

Douglas
The 8’-6” brake gear was produced for TLM as part of a larger etch, the principal part of which was the CCT underframe, and is unlikely to be produced again.
I recollect adapting 9’ -0” etched brake gear for a sample wagon but do not recall the source
Jim P

MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:12 pm

I covered the traders' version of the Diagram 22 brake gear in the wagon book p.120 and there's a photo on the next page. You can get an etch from NBR 4mm developments.

Best

Mike

theparley

Post by theparley » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:19 pm

Mike,

Thank you for your post and for the pointer to the single wheel brake style used on Private Owner wagons.

I had previously gleaned from your book that the Caley's pace of change from single wheel one-sided brakes to full Morton was a little pedestrian. However, my presumption (unsupported by hard evidence) is that after Grouping, the pace was accelerated on bodily sound Caley designed wagons. Thus, it seems that if I want to model Caley wagons in early LMS livery then I have to use 8ft 6ins Morton brake gear, both sides. Jim Pairman has modified the 9 ft wheelbase version but clearly has more modelling skill than I possess; hence my post looking for an 8ft 6ins etch.

I have been in contact with Tony Brenchley who may be able to help, failing which, thanks to you again, it's off to NBR Developments.

A further question, however. Where in the overall scheme of things do the TLM RY Pickering wagons fit ?

Best regards,

Douglas Teenan

MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Hello Douglas

Glad to be of help. I don't think you necessarily need Morton brakes both sides. The important upgrade was that the brake had to be applied from either side of the wagon, with the brake lever at the right hand end. This was what the CR put on the Diagram 59 wagons built in the 1920s. The RYP prototypes date from around 1904.

Best

Mike