CR Cattle Dock/Pens

Our range of 4mm scale wagon bodies and kits
David Blevins

CR Cattle Dock/Pens

Post by David Blevins »

This is a Link for Tony Brenchley to Caledonian Railway Cattle Dock/Pens, is it possible to produce a 4mm Kit for this, based on a previous Forum Article, photographs in 2mm scale, and possible Drawing from Jim Watt.
Could be a worthwhile project worthy of consideration?
https://www.crassoc.org.uk/forum/viewto ... 137#p10503
David Blevins.
jimwatt2mm

Re: CR Cattle Dock/Pens

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I've already sent my drawings (such as they are) to John Duffy, but if anyone else would like them, PM me your email address.

Jim W
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Thanks for the prompt Jim

I am not sure if an etch would work in 4mm scale to obtain the correct thickness for the wooden posts and planks. This looks to be ideal for a set of parts cast in resin. If we can sell 30 or more sets that should cover the cost of mould making. Most people will want at least 2 sets.

How many takers do we have and is anybody willing to make suitable patterns based on the work that Jim Watt has already done in 2mm scale?

Tony B
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

Tony,
Not up to making Patterns, but I will Order two sets of Cattle Dock Pens, hopefully others will come forward.
David Blevins.
Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple »

Two for me too, if they are 4mm.
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

You might like to contact Gavin Rose of Sparkshot Custom Creations ([email protected]) He's the chap who is producing the 3D printed 812 bodies. He might be able print a pattern (at a price of course).
jasp

Post by jasp »

I have designed the parts for the cattle pen, from Jim Watt’s original design but have yet to get them 3D printed for evaluation purposes.
If suitable, my plan was to get see if they could be resin cast.
JimP
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Thanks Jim

I think the level of interest would certainly justify us investing in a resin mould for the cattle pens. I guess 3D printing would be too expensive as a manufacturing method. The price for a resin mould and castings will depend on how big the pattern is. If it is about the size of the set of parts for the cattle wagon this will give an idea of the likely cost.

If you can let me have the patterns when that are made and I will get a quote from CMA who make our wagons. The mould will reproduce any fine detail to if you wants bolts heads on the hinges etc these will reproduce.

Tony B
jasp

Post by jasp »

Tony
I agree that 3D printing would be expensive, but hopefully useful as patterns for casting.
I have sent one part for 3D printing to ascertain the problems, or not.
This will, however, take some time.
If the part is successful, I will get the other parts printed and send to you.
I have not included hinges, catches etc but such details could be incorporated prior to printing the final result.
Jim P