CR Diagram 46 Underframes (Model ones that is)

Details and announcements about our expanding range of specially designed and produced kits of resin wagons, transfers and etched parts
tony brenchley

CR Diagram 46 Underframes (Model ones that is)

Post by tony brenchley »

Those who are trial building the few new mineral wagons that have escaped captivity have discovered that the spacing between the solebars on the diagram 46 wagon is a bit tight. Those wishing to use compensated or sprung w-irons should be aware that the S4 Society pattern will fit but some other brands, like D&S and MJT and notably Bill Bedford's w-irons with springs don't.

The solution is simple and quick - just scrape a few 10ths of a mm off the insides of both solebars in the vicinity of the w-irons with a sharp craft knife. It may not be necessary for the fixed w-iron at the opening door end. Check with your brand of w-iron. Take care not to put the tip of the knife blade through the floor as I did with one of our RYP wagons.

The diagram 22 wagon is OK and although the Bill Bedford sprung units are a tight fit they will go in without modification.

Tony
jasp

Re: CR Diagram 46 Underframes (Model ones that is)

Post by jasp »

The solebars on both wagons require to be thinned by approximately 1/2mm each side to use the fixed axle guards with pinpoint axles and bearings.
Jim P
tony brenchley

Re: CR Diagram 46 Underframes (Model ones that is)

Post by tony brenchley »

Bill Bedford sprung w-irons do fit inside the solebars of the diagram 22 wagon but are so tight this affects the springs! I scraped the solebars a little until they slid in easily and they worked OK. I scraped them a little more and D&S rocking w-irons fitted as well. Took much less time to do than typing this!
Tony B