Diagram 46 mineral wagon fault

Our range of 4mm scale wagon bodies and kits
Steve Parsons

Diagram 46 mineral wagon fault

Post by Steve Parsons » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:59 am

A word of warning chaps I'm just building up some of the True lines diagram 46 mineral wagons and as I was fitting the white metal W iron that were supplied with the kit I found on one side using the molded crown plate as a guide that the axle was out of true which I found was down to the crown plate on the solebar being slightly out of place. I quickly realigned the W iron before the superglue had a chance to set and cut off the crown plate with a scalpel and have replaced it with one I'd done on the Silhouette cutter but be aware if building one of these not to rely on lining up the W irons by just using the body moldings alone mind you the rest including the other side to this one seem fine.

I've got four of these and they all seem to have this fault so if you've got any they most likely are effected too. Its at the blank (not door) end as you can see in this picture the crown plate being off th the left by about 1mm.

The effected crown plate.
crown plate.jpg
crown plate.jpg (23.03 KiB) Viewed 13651 times
Steve
Last edited by Steve Parsons on Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alan K

Re: Diagram 46 mineral wagon fault

Post by Alan K » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:50 pm

If you can't get the crown plate off in one piece in order to move it, Ian Terrell does a neat fret of Solebar Crown Plates.

Alan

Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:49 pm

I'm currently tackling my first Diag 46 wagon. I am puzzled about the relative vertical distribution of the pin-point axle ends and the solebars. The solebars are 24.5mm apart while the Hornby pinpoint axles I am using are 26m end to end. So the axles are longer than the space between the solebars by 1.5mm. As the W irons sit inside the solebars, their back-to-back measurement is going to be less than 24.5mm. When I drill for the pinpoint bearing (from Eileen)it gives very little more space to fit the axle in and needs the W irons to be splayed. I seem to be doing something wrong. Are Hornby wheels' axles longer than others at 26mm? Are other bearings configured differently to give a deeper dent to fit the axle in? I'm very puzzled. Graham

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:08 am

I will go and double check but I use standard Hornby wheels and axles on mine and have found no problem so far with using the as supplied white metal axle guard arrangement on the True lines D46. I wasn't aware that Hornby axles were a different length to other makes in fact I've just swapped some spoked Hornby wheels with a friend for some Bachmann disc wheels which are the same length as the Hornby's and fitted my stock just fine. I've drilled out the castings and have fitted "top hat" brass bearings and these will only sit in as far as the collar but seem to be the correct width for my axles.

On my (silhouette) scratch built wagons I always make sure the gap between the solebars is 24.5 to 25mm and fit comet W irons but if I'm using W irons drawn and cut as part of the solebar I close the gap down to 23.5mm which seems to work ok axle width wise. Don't forget the over all inside width of the solebars and the axles shouldn't match you need the pin points of the axles to sit into the bearings and thus extend slightly beyond the inner face width of the axle guards.

Gympie

Post by Gympie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:31 pm

Is there any chance of a photo?

Gympie

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Of what?

The photo in the first post shows the crown ring off set to much to the left as you look at it as you can see its closer to the left hand spring mounting strap.than the right hand one.

Gympie

Post by Gympie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Sorry I didn't make myself clear - could we see a photo of your finished model - I understand the problem of the misplaced Crown Plate. I have four to do at the moment.

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Oh right sorry I'll dig one out and take a photo

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Sorry I've not had a chance to post any pictures up yet of one of the D46 wagons but my pc is down and I'm working from my I phone which takes a good photo but I've yet to work out how to adjust the photos resolution to be able to down load it on here if/when I do I will add one.

Gympie

Post by Gympie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:06 pm

Here are two of my attempts at this model - I hope I haven't overdone the painting. I may have added one too many black horizontal lines. I have deliberately not added the brake because from the information in the Wagons Book, it appears that the brake guide is attached to the lower plank of the body. If that is the case, I feel it would need pinning as holding it with a bit of the sticky stuff it would soon get broken off. I would appreciate suggestions.
I have two more to complete, I'm not sure whether to go to the trouble of these or take the easy option.
Your thoughts please,
Gympie.
Attachments
Diag 46 02.JPG
Diag 46 02.JPG (19.38 KiB) Viewed 10927 times
Diag 46 01.JPG
Diag 46 01.JPG (18.53 KiB) Viewed 10927 times

Alan K

Post by Alan K » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:02 am

You could always fit them with the McIntosh Patent Brake!

Alan

Alan K

Post by Alan K » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:15 pm

Alternatively, there must have been some Diagram 46 wagons which were subsequently fitted with the Morton arrangement. However, that and the McIntosh Patent Brake may not be in your chosen time period....
I haven't made up my TLM D46's yet - they're still in my 'to do' box, but it looks to me that it should be possible to modify the 51L brake lever guard construction to make the 'front' part longer so that it can reach the curb rail. This earlier version seems to me to be 'easier' than the conventional one, as on the outside it's flat, without a bend at the top. If I had to do it, I would miss out some of the folds at the top and see if I can form a 'spigot' for fixing but if not have a go at drilling a 0.5mm hole and soldering in a short brass pin which could be fitted into a hole in the curb rail. If it's done with a tight fit, it may not even need to be glued in place and be removable for painting. Hope this helps.

Alan