James Harkins - accident 7/12/1882

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
Jim Summers

James Harkins - accident 7/12/1882

Post by Jim Summers »

As Archivist, I have been approached by Peter Raeburn in Queensland, Australia to see if we can help with finding out more about James Harkins, who was killed in a shunting accident at 5am on December 7, 1882 at the south end of the General Railway Station in Perth.

As reported in the Dundee Evening Telegraph later that day, he had been knocked down by a wagon that then ran over both his legs and part of his body. He died in the nearby Infirmary while having a leg amputated. The evidence points to Mr Harkins being a Caledonian employee, though this actually might not be the case.

We have no records in David Blevins' huge list of people, and I have undertaken to look at what is in the NRS on Peter's behalf in due course. However he has asked me to put this request on the Forum, on the off-chance that someone may have some knowledge. As we know, this Forum can come up with some surprising material.

He was killed in a shunting accident at 5am on December 7, 1882 at the south end of the General Railway Station in Perth. As reported in the Dundee Evening Telegraph later that day, he had been knocked down by a wagon that then ran over both his legs and part of his body. He died in the nearby Infirmary while having a leg amputated.

Feel free to contact Peter Raeburn with any information. He is at [email protected]

JimS
Orraman

Re: James Harkins - accident 7/12/1882

Post by Orraman »

Described as Chief Yardsman Perth South Station - Dundee Courier 8/12/1882

Leaves a wife and large family, residing in Dunning – Dundee Courier 8/12/1882

One of oldest servants of the Caledonian Railway in the locality and left a wife and eleven children. - Kinross-shire Advertiser 9/12/1882; Daily Review 8 December 1882
David Blevins

Re: James Harkins - accident 7/12/1882

Post by David Blevins »

Very Interesting research, as Jim said it is amazing what Members keep coming up with!
I have entered the Information into the Caledonian Railway Staff List, and it will be Updated in the near future, on a regular basis throughout the year.
David Blevins.