Bell's Yard, Glasgow

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
Jim Summers

Bell's Yard, Glasgow

Post by Jim Summers »

Can anyone supply any information about what traffic Bell's Yard was used for over the years, please?

I haven't (so far) found it in Caley documentation, but it figured in BR freight timetables, with unfitted trains calling there. But also in BR days it played a part in the sections for the named fast freight trains, like the Hielan' Piper and the Flier.
For those interested in that bit, here is a wee table I produced of the Scottish Region Named fully-fitted trains|:

BR Named Fully Fitted Freights
The Kitty 1747 Dumfries via Caley route to Aberdeen Guild St. and Kittybrewster
The Hielan’ Piper 1934 Bridgeton Yard via Caley route to Aberdeen Joint 00D57 – 0110 then via Kittybrewster 0200, Elgin 04U07, Inverness???
The Fifer 2232 Bridgeton (Bells Yard) – Scottish Central – Alloa Swing Bridge – Alloa Yard 2330 (combine with 2234 from Cadder) – Thornton Yard.
The Galloway Piper 1910 Millerhill – Stranraer

Condor Bridgeton to ?Cricklewood

But if anyone has any more information to offer on the exact location of the yard and its traffics in Caley days or later, I would be grateful.

JimS
bdrummond

Re: Bell's Yard, Glasgow

Post by bdrummond »

Jim

Bell's Yard was on the up side midway between Gushetfaulds Junction\ and Polmadie Bridge Box. As far as I can tell it dealt with workings heading in an up direction only.

I've not had time to go through all my material but a 1935 Marshalling of Freight Trains book shows it dispatched early evening freights to Dundee and Durran Hill and a later one to Kingmoor. By the time of the equivalent 1963 book it was down to one Carlisle freight but by now the Heilan' Piper is listed and the Kitty both attaches and detaches classified traffic. In the twenties and thirties and at least as late as 1959 (but not 1966) there was a significant number of calls by trip workings and some of their traffic can be identified. One specific longer distance traffic which jumped out at me was the Radio Times as it filtered north.

I can go through my sources further if you wish but it will take a little time.

Bob
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Superb information, thank you, Bob.
It will suffice, so don't bother to dig any more.
I recently came across a Caley guard's Journal of 1918, when a Grangemouth turn, coming back from a run down to Greenock, calls at Bell's Yard to attach - minerals, if I remember.

Your remark on the Radio Times coming north intrigues me, because I seem to remember that in BR days at least, it was printed at East Kilbride and loaded wagons came out for distribution.

JimS
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

Can I ask if the yard in question is the one across the line from the Queens Park Locomotive works, which seems to be identified as Gushetfaulds Goods?

Anent the Radio Times; the main printing works for this was at Thorntonhall, I think, and every week a train of vans labelled for the Radio Times came past Strathbungo Jn northwards, heading, I assume, to Langside and Larkfield Jns, thence, one assumes, to Bell's Yard.

Allan F
bdrummond

Post by bdrummond »

Bell's Yard was indeed on the other side of the main line and level with the QPLWorks.

I see in 1935 two freights from Greenock called at Bell's Yard, including one for Grangemouth. It left Greenock Harbour at 9.20PM and at Bell's Yard detached South Side District traffic and attached classified traffic. The second set off from Greenock Regent Street for Leith at 11PM and did similar business at Bell's Yard. There is mention too of Greeenock workings in other years dropping sugar traffic at Bell's Yard.

Pleased to have been of help Jim.

Bob
jasp

Post by jasp »

The Radio Times print works was at College Milton South Industrial Estate, East Kilbride, near Hairmyres station, on the opposite side of the line to Hairmyres hospital.
I cannot recall where the sidings came off the EK line but presume it was up from Hairmyres station.
JP
bdrummond

Post by bdrummond »

The source quoted from for the Radio Times working was the Glasgow South District TT&S Engine Notice from 5th January 1959 ufn. It shows trip S.343 on Monday and Tuesday afternoons took empty vanfits from Crossmyloof to Hairmyres Factory. Later those same days loaded vanfits headed from Hairmyres by way of Pollokshaws West for Bell's Yard with Radio Times traffic. It connected at Pollokshaws with the 5.48PM to Carlisle and at Bell's Yard with the "Hielan' Piper", the "Kitty", the "Fifer", and the "Lothian Piper". From Hairmyres the marshalling was given as engine, LNW, NE, Midland, College, and Bell's Yard. There was also a Wednesday version of the trip which saw pre-test vanfits run from Crossmyloof to Hairmyres Factory and back.
Bill_Gensheet

Post by Bill_Gensheet »

Thread from the past time....

Thanks to a 1960 WTT from John Paton I have been using, here is the 1960 lineup for Bells yard and Polmadie up.
As can be seen several trips are in the WTT. However their other parts are not, so for example the WTT shows no trips into Renfrew / Shieldhall at all, but 3 trips return, i presume as they are 'timed connections'.
East Kilbride is the opposite - trip shown inward in the WTT but no return working.

Is the 1959 engine/trip notice mentioned above available electronically ?

Bill

Up yard departures

Bells
19:15 C 19:15 Bells Yard - Inverness C HIELAN' PIPER
21:10 S356 21:10 Bells Yard - Law Jn E
21:55 C 17:25 Dumfries - Aberdeen C THE KITTIE
22:35 C 20:30 Irvine - Dundee C THE FIFER
23:36 C 18:00 Stranraer - Edinburgh Lothian Road C THE LOWLAND PIPER

Polmadie
12:01 C 12:01 Polmadie - Slateford C
15:50 S359 14:50 Renfrew - Bridgeton / London Road
17:55 *L* H 15:45 Glengarnock - Gartcosh H

Up yard arrivals

Bells
15:25 K 14:50 Renfrew - Bridgeton London Road K
17:35 S339 17:10 Shieldhall - Bells Yard C
18:35 S318 17:25 General Terminus - Kinning Park - Bells Yard F
19:25 S317 19:10 Pollockshaws West - Bells Yard F
19:43 S347 18:35 Renfrew - Bells Yard F
20:12 S345 19:15 Shieldhall - Bells Yard F
20:45 C 17:25 Dumfries - Aberdeen C THE KITTIE
21:27 C 20:30 Irvine - Dundee C THE FIFER
23:04 C 18:00 Stranraer - Edinburgh Lothian Road C THE LOWLAND PIPER

Polmadie
11:38 S 48 11:10 Renfrew - Polmadie Up C
11:41 C 11:10 Renfrew South - Polmadie C
12:06 H 09:15 Ardrossan N - Polmadie Up H
14:01 H 11:45 Ardrossan N - Polmadie Up H
17:07 *L* H 15:45 Glengarnock - Gartcosh H
22:20 E 17:26 Carlisle Viaduct - Polmadie via Kilmarnock E (? Maybe into down yard by reversal)

*L* loco change