Argo Transacord "Caledonian Engines"

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
Victorian_Lad

Argo Transacord "Caledonian Engines"

Post by Victorian_Lad »

Hello all,
My fiance bought me a gift for my birthday and it just arrived today of Argo Transacord recording "Caledonian Engines" which seems to be hard to get ahold of. I decided to record the vinyl and upload it to youtube for you guys to listen to as they seem rare and its quite interesting to listen to as media of CR engines is hard to come by as well. Im expecting the other recording of "Mail to Aviemore" with two double-heading CR 72 Classes to arrive an day now as well and record that on if you like.
Side one
https://youtu.be/d4oHe_vU_Lc
Side two
https://youtu.be/sVygV372IY8

dumb buffer

Re: Argo Transacord "Caledonian Engines"

Post by dumb buffer »

Kris

I also have the two records, for which I paid a small, but not insignificant sum on ebay. Perhaps I would have been less willing to do so had I known that they would be available free of charge on youtube. Anyone else who was hoping to sell copies of the recordings might also be less than happy to find his assets rendered suddenly valueless.

Copyright is there for a reason, and bypassing it "just because you can" is not only bad form but is probably illegal and possibly criminal.

Allan F
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

I must be old, Kris, as I bought a copy when it was first on sale!
Definitely worth having, especially for the track of the ailing Jumbo.

Like Allan, though, I wonder about the legal issues of uploading it.

JImS
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

It is Good to listen to Caley Steam Engines via Youtube.
Thank you for uploading the Record it will be now available to a wider audience.
David Blevins.
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

Ah yes, I know about the copyright issues. Thats why the videos are not public and are unlisted so only my mates and you guys can watch it. No one else can watch it. Only people with the link to the video can watch it. Im setting the videos to private soon as well. Plus as the copyright was made in 1963, I think the copyright is expired now as I believe copyrights before 1970-something only last 28 years. Again, dont know much about it or whether the NRM has renewed the copyright.

Kris
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

Many thanks. I too have a copy, years old now. I recorded it onto my computer and then used audio software to remaster and remove the blemishes. The tracks were split up into small segments such as "westinghouse pump" and now reside in a small ipod. Random bits of whistle and pumps can play as I move trains about the layout.

One of these days I'll work out a way of linking specific tracks to actual model events.
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Dave,
Could your editing work be the basis of a sound chip for locomotives? Or must we await some manufacturer investing in recording 828 and, soon I hope, a reinstated 419.

JimS
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

In theory they could Jim. Even after some work I suspect they would not be considered good enough for todays sound chips though. It would probably need an expert with full remastering equipment to get the recordings up to that quality.

There is also the copyright issue mentioned above. At present I have just used a copy of my own record for my own use. If the files go to a commercial sound chip maker would a license fee be due to whoever owns that copyright? I don't know the answer to that one.
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Thank you, Dave,

I am pretty sure a licence fee would be required, which might have been worthwhile if this was acceptable quality. However, with 419 due back in steam, and 828 already back in business, perhaps the task now is to tackle one of these expert steam-sound-chip experts. One to pursue.

Meantime, enjoy your own audible Caley world!

JimS
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

Oh, I agree, but the record has the sound of a westinghouse pump in action. And I'm moddelling the low level lines , so I get two of them in stereo ......
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

Well I think I may be able to help out for sounds off of CR 828. I hired a studio sound bloke to go up to the Strathspey to record 828 from the footplate and he put about 5 microphones all over the engine and they turned out really really nice. If you like I can send over a few of them. Depends really on what you would like? I'm not really into model railways so I don't know the ins and outs as I model digitally for simulators and games. Image
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Well, that is a quite an achievement there, Kris.

I think if you can let us have the results, it behoves us, as the Caledonian Railway Association, to investigate it further with British sound chip manufacturers.
This is an exciting project potentially, in my view.

JimS
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

Not sure if this can be of any use to any one but there's this on YouTube as well. It's 40 seconds of a locomotive air pump running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_V7nYVzZbI
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

I'm still asking about. The general feeling is that old recordings have too much background noise to be of use with dcc controlled sound.
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

Well I gave Jim my recordings from 828 to use for dcc sounds for future models so its all covered I believe.

Kris
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Yes, Kris did send me them, and I propose putting a proposition to the committee (and Kris) at the beginning of November. They seem to have great potential, and if we can eventually get 419, wonderful.

Kris deserves great credit for his enterprise in getting these sounds recorded.

JimS
David Elvy

Caledonian Engine Sound

Post by David Elvy »

I looked at this a year or so back, I past my copy of the record to DCC Supplies who were very interested in the idea, unfortunately they said the old 45rpm wasn't much use.

For my 439 I have used the sound from an M7, the model has been to a number of locations and everyone who has heard it swore it was a 439; as both are Drummond prototypes of the same wheel and cylinder configuration and the lum's are so similar that I was happy to use the sound from the M7. Better to have something than nothing was my basis for this decision.

My Jumbo's will be the other models which will have the M7 sound decoder fitted unless someone knows when we might be able to source a true Caley loco sound?

The idea of a true Caley loco DCC sound decoder definitely gets my support.

David
Orbiston

Post by Orbiston »

Are these recordings part of the crassoc files? I have a couple I could donate.
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

At present, these recordings are not in our Archives.
A case could be made for rectifying that, if you are prepared to donate a copy of the EP.

JimS
Carina M

Post by Carina M »

As a new member of the Association, I am slowly exploring the range of information available. In the CRA Forum section of the current issue of TTL, I came across a brief reference to the possible development of a CR locomotive sound chip - something I am currently investigating with South West Digital. They have previously supplied me with several Loksound decoders from their range of British steam sounds. Since this range includes an M7 recorded from the prototype, It seemed that with some modifications (to the whistle in particular) this would suit my 782 Class which I have, finally, got round to rebuilding. (I note from this forum topic that others have had similar ideas!).

I had a very positive initial response from Steve of SWD, but since then he has unfortunately had a spell in hospital and so it may be some time before this project is completed. Meantime, I wish him well and a speedy recovery.
Carina M

Post by Carina M »

Progress on a true Caley loco DCC sound decoder
I’m pleased to report that South West Digital is currently developing a soundfile of Caley engine sounds, using the recordings commissioned by Kris of CR 828 on the Strathspey Railway last year. He generously offered these recordings to the CRA for such a project, and it’s gratifying that this is now being developed. SWD have confirmed that the sound quality meets their requirements, and it is hoped that the soundfile will be available on their range of LokSound decoders by the end of the year. So thank you, Kris, for making this possible! I’ll be one of the first purchasers for my much rebuilt 782 Class, for my Skelmorlie Pier layout (a long way to go on that project!).
Carina M