Caledonian Unlined Black livery

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
Victorian_Lad

Caledonian Unlined Black livery

Post by Victorian_Lad »

I came across this picture of Caledonian Railway 439 Class No. 419 at Bluebell in a rather odd livery, CR Unlined Black. I know this must not have been a real CR livery? Nor did 439s carry CR goods livery? I was wonder if anyone can shed some light on this or why this livery was applied. I do love the look of it as it shows the great Caley proportions on her and the smokebox thistles are a nice touch. Thank you :)

Kris
Dave John

Re: Caledonian Unlined Black livery

Post by Dave John »

The link doesn't show VL, but have another go , we might be able to shed some light on it. It can be the case that preserved engines are photographed half way through a repaint.
caley739

Re: Caledonian Unlined Black livery

Post by caley739 »

I remember visiting the Bluebell Railway when 419 was present. It must have been 1978 or 1979. She was definitely in black livery although I cannot recall whether it was lined or unlined.I believe she was in full running order as a visiting guest at the time. It was a real surprise to find this old friend from her time at Carstairs in deepest Sussex!!

Tom Robertson