CR 498 LMS transitional livery?

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
Victorian_Lad

CR 498 LMS transitional livery?

Post by Victorian_Lad » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:56 am

Hello,
I was glancing at some pictures when I noticed a CR 498 Class in shed, but I noticed while it has its full LMS numbers, there seems to be some sort of double lining at the bottom of the tank and a thick lining at the top of the tank where CR lining would seemingly be. Its hard to tell whether this is a scratch of the photo or dirt? I know the LNWR had a few engines in a LMS/LNWR transitional livery in 1923/24. Could this be some form of CR/LMS transitional livery or just something else? What do you think?

Kris

Jim Summers

Re: CR 498 LMS transitional livery?

Post by Jim Summers » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:10 pm

I don't know, to be honest, Kris.
There is certainly very strong light, judging by the shadows. At the top of the tank, it may have emphasised some lining below a cheap LMS painting job, but on the other hand the line appears to run right to the edge of the tank, which lining would not have done.
The double lining at the bottom is, I think, a blemish, and it might also be the cause of the apparent line on the metal column near the locomotive. I had wondered if the double marks were the result of a tank repair, as was not unusual, but in this case, I think not.

All that aside, I knew a couple of these engines well and have built a model of one. They went round incredibly tight curves with their short wheelbase, as intended, but could rock about a bit in consequence. Powerful and compact, and enhanced by the outside cylinders. I am prejudiced, of course.

JimS

dumb buffer

Re: CR 498 LMS transitional livery?

Post by dumb buffer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:41 pm

I remember meeting one of these down around the Kingston dock in the mid 1950's. Fairly indeterminate paint job, but what I remember is the tremendous impression of mass as it rocked and rolled along the fairly rough track.

Allan F