CR 72 Class Replica New-build project

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
Victorian_Lad

CR 72 Class Replica New-build project

Post by Victorian_Lad »

Hello all,
I came across something rather curious the other day. On the wiki page for the Caledonian Railway 72 Class under the "Preservation" section is says "Although no members of the class have been preserved, there are plans to construct a replica.". I have heard of no such project to build a replica or even a whisper of such. Does anyone else know about this at all? Here is the link to the wiki page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caledonia ... y_72_Class

To be honest, I would'nt have chosen a 72 as a possible new build project. Maybe a Dunalastair IV or Jumbo would be a better choice for a first new build project. What do you think?

Kris
lms14509

Re: CR 72 Class Replica New-build project

Post by lms14509 »

Chris,

The 72/113 were the final flowering of Caley Express Passenger 4-4-0 development.Despite some serious issues- they were the most numerous, long lived-and one missed preservation by the slightest margin. I would happily contribute to such a venture.However; I would also happily support a Superheated Dunalastair IV 4-4-0 as well. It is a modern 20th Century Caley Express loco that is needed-either of these would fill the gap nicely.(and be useful on a preserved railway too).
caley739

Post by caley739 »

Kris
There was a project in the early 1960s to preserve some Caledonian locos including one of these Pickersgills, also a Jumbo and an 0-4-4T. Eventually only enough money to buy the 0-4-4T was raised. I remember 54463 stored at Carstairs shed in 1963 and 1964 as a possible candidate for this project. Alas it was not to be. It might be a faint confused echo of this project which leads to the Wikipedia note.
The mixed reputation of these engines might be based only on the writings of O S Nock who considered them to be rather sluggish when running downhill. I think the average Running Foreman would not be too troubled by this. What he wanted was something reliable and available, which is what he got with these engines.

Tom Robertson
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

Sorry guys as much ad we like to speculate we all know deep in our hears unless some one finds a suitable boiler in a closed down factory of green house complex like the Brighten Atlantic project or what ever it was this is just never going to happen.
Still its nice to dream and have wish lists and if that is the case I think a Dunalastair 3 would be a good choice, in non superheated to keep the boiler simple and keep costs down.
For limited railtour use and preserved lines it would have more than enough power and to be frank IMHO is a far prettier looking loco than the later Pickersgill ones.
Designed and development might be both easier and cheaper as there's some similarities with parts and fittings on 828 so the opertunaty to scan and clone these would help keep development costs down.

So there's my case that if (big if) the opertunaty for a new build ever came up the Dunny 3 would be a better choice over the Pickersgill design.
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

You know what a Dunny means in Australia, Steve?

Best

Mike
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

Woops I forgot about that one Mike.