Dating a Glasgow newspaper cutting.

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
dunalastairv

Dating a Glasgow newspaper cutting.

Post by dunalastairv » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 pm

I have just purchased a lovely presentation wallet inscribed "Mr. Alfred J. Gunn, Station Master, Caledonian Railway - Glasgow Cross Station", and I have reason to believe this dates from about 1895, as there is a newspaper cutting inside it recalling a presentation to Mr. Gunn at the time of his appointment there - the cutting is dated on the back May 8th. 1895. However, the wallet also contains another cutting, this time undated, which I reproduce here verbatim: it obviously comes from a Glasgow paper. My question is, are we talking about a similar date?

"The Central Railway approaches completion, and probably a partial service will be in operation with the arrival of the Fair Holidays. From an outsider's view this looks almost impossible, especially when the present state of the Central Station at Argyle Street is considered; but the Board of Trade inspection has provisionally been fixed to begin on 7th July, and should their sanction be given, immediately thereafter the line will be opened with a modified service between Rutherglen and Possil. That portion of the line includes the following stations:- Rutherglen, Glasgow Cross, Central, Anderston Cross, Stobcross, Kelvinbridge, Botanic Gardens, Kirklee, Maryhill and Possil. The stations at Partick and Crow Road are not in such a forward state, and it will be some time in August before the full service will be in operation. Yesterday the officials of the Company and the contractors were engaged in testing the bridges between Stobcross and Maryhill".

My thanks in advance as always.

caley739

Re: Dating a Glasgow newspaper cutting.

Post by caley739 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:13 pm

David Ross in his history of The Caledonian has Glasgow Central Railway completed 10/8/1896. So I would guess the first half of 1896 for your newspaper cutting.

Tom Robertson

MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:42 am

Hello Michael

According to David Blevin's staff list, Gunn (no first name) was appointed to Staion Master grade at Glasgow Cross station on 09/11/1895 - source The Railway Herald.

Best

Mike

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:17 pm

I have checked my records and the Railway Herald was a Weekly Saturday Newspaper and the dated quoted of 09/11/1895 is the date of publication when the names of Station Masters Appointments were first listed. The date of 08th., May, 1895 will probably be more accurate as it comes with the original presentation wallet. It was quite usual for Caledonian Railway Staff to have a "whip round" and present a wallet of cash to a popular Gaffer/member of Staff on leaving or promotion.
The Railway Herald for Saturday 15/08/1896 states that the Glasgow Central Railway opened on Monday with a 15 minute service between Rutherglen & Maryhill, and so we have a few more facts of interest.
I will update the Caledonian Railway Staff List with this additional Information.

David Blevins.

dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:09 pm

I am, as always, indebted to you all for this extra information which so much enhances the value of this particular piece of history. I'm also glad to have been able to amplify just one set of details of a C.R. staff member.

Best wishes, Michael.