No. 2s

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
Douglas Hind

No. 2s

Post by Douglas Hind »

I have had the following query from Bill Bishop:

I am a member of the South Western Circle and am planning an article for our journal on `No. 2s` by which I mean deputies to the CME!

Dugald Drummond poached RWU from St Rollox in 1897 to replace William Pettigrew as his works manager at Nine Elms. RWU had been works manager for a year at St Rollox and my impression is John McIntosh was far easier to get on with than Dugald Drummond. So what was the incentive for the move to London? Was it salary, so do you know what RWU earned as works manager? Or could there be a second possibility, RWU had two sons , so what was the policy of apprenticeship at St Rollox? Or was there another reason?

I hope you can help me.

Bill Bishop.
Douglas Hind

Re: No. 2s

Post by Douglas Hind »

Donald Peddie replied:

If you want some detail on R W Urie's relationship with both Dougald Drummond and J F McIntosh you will find quite a lot of material in my book `William Pickersgill and the 956 Class`, published by the Caledonian Railway Association.

In summary I would say that the Drummond/Urie relationship was better than the McIntosh/Urie one. Whilst Urie had known and recorded fall-outs with both Drummond and McIntosh, those with Drummond were more easily repaired since both men were technical animals with a thorough understanding of all aspects of locomotive detailed design and operation. Fall-outs with McIntosh were much less readily repaired as Urie, I suggest, was a far more able technical engineer than McIntosh who is always referred to as a `running man`.

i believe McIntosh's success as a locomotive engineer was in large measure the work of Thomas Weir, the St Rollox chief draughtsman who was recruited by Urie when the latter was chief draughtsman. It was Weir who put the McIntosh engine designs into tangible form based almost entirely on Drummond's earlier work.

Much more detail on the fall-outs is in the 956 book and what I can see as a shortfall in McIntosh's technical foresight.