A customer (or supplier?) of R Y Pickering

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
MIKEWILLIAMS

A customer (or supplier?) of R Y Pickering

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Can anyone tell me anything about the firm of Melville B Craig of Wishaw, later Melville B Craig & Shanks of Glasgow? There doesn't seem to be a PO directory for Wishaw in NLS and the Glasgow directories seem to finish at 1912.

Best

Mike
DFORSYTH

Re: A customer (or supplier?) of R Y Pickering

Post by DFORSYTH »

Hi Mike,
Are you sure that Melville B Craig was a ‘company’?
Here is some information I found that might start to answer your question (with follow up investigations).

WISHAW PRESS dated 12 Nov 1892: At 8 Hamilton Street, on the 8th lest, Mrs Melville B Craig, a daughter.

MOTHERWELL TIMES dated 20 Dec 1907: Lecture on ‘Mining in Lanarkshire’ will be given by Mr Melville Craig of the Camp Coal Company Ltd at the Voting Men’s Exhibition and Museum on Friday evening 3rd January 1908.

Go on the web and type in ‘Camp Colliery Photograph Album, Motherwell early 1900s’. This album has the signature of Melville B Craig and the photographs taken underground are amazing,

The question of “customer or supplier.”
Did Camp Colliery supply coal to R Y Pickering thus supplier - or did the Camp Colliery purchase wagons from R Y Pickering thus customer.

Suggest:
Do more research on Camp Colliery. Check Valuation Rolls, trade directories etc when we are all permitted to enter and view various archives, library collections.
Follow up on the personal life of Melville B Craig to see how his career changed. His children’s birth certificates (and his marriage certificate) will show his occupation.
Do you have access to the ‘British Newspaper Archives’? - a great source of information.
fordyce

Post by fordyce »

The B is for Babbington. He was born 1864 in Cockermouth.

1901 census: Cashier In Colliery Office & House Factor
When a daughter married in 1920 he was now a Coal Agent.
When he died in 1922 his Confirmation records him as a coal agent.

This could indicate he was operating, as a coal agent, first alone then in partnership with Mr Shanks. So, a supplier?

You can freely search The Edinburgh Gazette for partnerships being dissolved, as might have happened after his death: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/browse-publications.

Hope that clarifies - a bit!

Howard
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Thanks Howard

I have now found out that Pickering supplied Melville B and not the other way round. The story is interesting in its own way and I'll put a short piece in True Line.

Best

Mike