Caledonian Railway Staff List

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
David Blevins

Caledonian Railway Staff List

Post by David Blevins »

I have Updated the Caledonian Railway Staff List, which is due to be published or made available on the CRA Forum very soon, we now have 17,350 entries for all Grades of Railway employees. Not a complete list, as the original CR Co. Records were damaged many years ago by careless storage, water damage, and then criminally "thrown out" probably in the BR era, some Records still exist in Edinburgh, but there are large gaps.
The CRA Committee, received a Volunteer about 10 Years ago - ME, and they decided to put together a List of names, after many enquiries on "My Great Grandfather" from relatives who had done Research on their Family History. So starting from one Enquiry, and a lot of Research, we have in this Year of 2021 reached 17,350 entries.
A recent Enquiry from a New member, David Forsyth, volunteering Information on his Family Research into Fauldhouse, West Lothian - opened up a New Source of Information from The Valuation Rolls of Scotland.
The Valuation Roll usually only listed the Station Master but upon further Research it seems the Caledonian Railway owned considerable Property, which is quite extensive in places such as Motherwell, Carstairs, Coatbridge, including Fauldhouse, and many others, which includes all Railway trades as well as Drivers, and Firemen and Guards.
It would be Good to share this Information, and so I am passing this on - it can be found under Scotlands People on the Internet, mostly for individual research of Family Members, Census, Marriages, Births, Deaths. If you put in "Caledonian Railway" in Valuation Rolls it lists all the Property owned by the Caley, a few hiccups easily solved as they tend to be listed under Scottish County Names and Parishes. Here are a few "Dalziel" which includes Motherwell, "Old Monkland" for Coatbridge, "Barony" for outside of Glasgow City but is Glasgow nowadays, and many more almost forgotten names.
So if any of you want to continue Research, please do, and forwarding any details you come across no matter how small, every name counts in building up a picture of Railway Life, and would Aid the CRA to continue to Update The Caledonian Railway Staff List.
David Blevins.
Sinclair

Re: Caledonian Railway Staff List

Post by Sinclair »

The updated lists is now available on the website here.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

An Updated Caledonian Railway Staff List will soon be available on the CRA Website.
It has increased considerably, with 22,225 entries, with Information from relatives on their Great Great Grandfather - which we greatly appreciate in receiving Family Research from individuals.
The other source was the Scottish Valuation of Property Lists in Scotland.
I had concentrated on the Years 1895 and 1915 for Caledonian Railway owned Houses, Cottages, etc., from Aberdeen in the North to Kirkpatrick, near the Scottish Border, not forgetting the Callander & Oban Railway and the Killin Railway to the West.
This became a bit of an Obsession, many long Hours typing up names and places, and included the Glasgow, Barrhead & Kilmarnock Joint Railway.
Not just stopping there with a good representation of the CR Railway in 1895 and 1915, I went on and included 1885, 1905 and 1920, so then we now have a fair Record of Caledonian Railway Staff staying in CR owned Property from 1885 to 1920. A few patchy records for 1875 were found, mostly relating to Motherwell Shed Housing and have also been included.
Like most Recording of Historical details, there could be some omissions or mis-reading of hand written documents, which should be corrected through time and perseverance.
As I said originally the CRA website will be updated in due course with a "New" Caledonian Railway Staff List.

Awaiting another revelation of a source of Caledonian Railway Staff.

David Blevins.
Last edited by David Blevins on Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

A "Revelation" has occurred regarding a New source of Information from one of our Members, Eoin Rennie, who has been working independently on a Research Project of his, on Alloa Junction.
He has kindly forwarded a List of over 1,000 new names of Caledonian Railway Staff from all over Scotland, from sources such as British Newspaper Archive, ASRS Legal Records, and Quarterly Returns of Accidents from the Board of Trade.
So, now working my way through this fascinating list, sometimes having to pause to steady my nerves, reading about Deaths to 14 year olds and 16 year old teenagers working in very dangerous jobs with no supervision is harrowing.
Perhaps our view of the "Wonderful" Caledonian Railway with it's Blue Engines and sleek Carriages has to be tempered with an image of the actual day to day working conditions in all weathers for Caledonian Railway Staff.
Enough, of my morbid thoughts, and a big Thank You to Eoin Rennie for his large piece of Research he has forwarded to us.

Anymore Research from CRA Members, or the Public, is very gratefully received, even one name is another memory of someone not forgotten.

David Blevins.
Niall Ferguson

Post by Niall Ferguson »

David
Whilst going through the National Newspaper Archive for information on my book on the Dundee & Arbroath Railway I have been noting staff information that I have come across (usually retirement presentations or obituaries) They are very disorganised at the moment, but it is my intention to put them into some sort of table and let you have them - but don't hold your breath!
Niall
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

Niall,
I will look forward to receiving your "table" for the Dundee & Arbroath Railway Staff, that was one area difficult to pin down CR Staff from the Scottish Valuation of property List, so there are a few gaps in my research, which I would appreciate more Information from yourself, or others, for that area of Scotland.
I have added more names from the BOT Accidents from the 1870's along with Eoin Rennie's large piece of Research, now over 24,000 entries and climbing.
David Blevins.