Where is Auchenvale

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
David Blevins

Where is Auchenvale

Post by David Blevins »

I have come across an entry in the Scottish Valuation Roll in Renfrewshire for Auchenvale, it lists Signalmen, Platelayers, Goods Agent for 1895, 1905 and 1915 and had a Guard and Goods Manager back in 1885. They are all staying in Caledonian Railway Property/Houses.
I cannot find Auchenvale using Google Maps, probably demolished and built over.
One possibility could be the Goods Yard near Port Glasgow, which was separate from the Station with a link to the Port, but that is just conjecture on my part.
Any Information would assist me in finalising the entries from the Scottish Valuation Roll into The Caledonian Railway Staff List.
Is Auchenvale a District in Port Glasgow, or was the Goods Yard named Auchenvale, or is it somewhere else in Renfrew County, Scotland?

David Blevins.
jimwatt2mm

Re: Where is Auchenvale

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Typing the name into the search box on the NLS maps website the nearest is Auchenfoyle which is no more than a farm a few miles south of Port Glasgow. It also suggests Auchenvole, near Castlecary, which again looks like a farm and Auchenfail, which appears to be an area on the river Ayr in Ayrshire. None are near any CR line.

Jim W
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

I've been looking at this too, out of interest, and the University of Aberdeen, Emigration Database, gives details of an individual leaving Auchenvale, Port Glasgow, to travel abroad. Furthermore, Major Ronald Macdonald, in a separate entry, has his address given as Auchenvale House, Port Glasgow. I think it's a definite bet Port Glasgow was the location and what's needed for certainty is a street map of the Town in late-Victorian times, showing the area presumably now demolished without trace - like so much of the built environment of that location.
Orraman

Post by Orraman »

Some more references

Malcolm McDonald/ MacDonald
Born Kilmacolm, resided Kilmacolm.
Son of Janet Munro MacDonald, Auchenvale House, Port Glasgow, and the late Alexander MacDonald.
Newspaper Cutting recording his death in 1915

Isabella McIntyre marrying a Robert McGeachan, an, engineer at Auchenvale, Port Glasgow 10 September 1879 (Greenock Telegraph 15.9.1879)

Thomas Quinney, Inspector of the Poor, Port Glasgow, died at Auchenvale on 26th March 1865 (Greenock Advertiser 2 March 1865)

Peter McDade, Auchenvale House, Secretary to the Ancient Order of Shepherds
Orraman

Re: Where is Auchenvale -further research

Post by Orraman »

Suspect that Auchenvale was an area to the east of Port Glasgow lying between Newark Castle and the area around the gasworks. (Robert Street/Clune Brae?).

It may be that Auchenvale House burnt down in 1938
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

Thank you for your Help and thoughts on the whereabouts of Auchenvale.
I agree it must be East of Port Glasgow, this is where the Glasgow Road passed under the Railway Bridge near Newark Castle on the River Clyde and skirted Port Glasgow Goods Station/Yard, passing the Gasworks and onto Carnegie Park, South of the Railway Line. A Map is included for 1911 if readable - I hope it is not too small.
The Station Master for Port Glasgow and the Goods Agent, stayed in Fyfe Park House, which is North of the line, accessed under the railway on the shore, next to the Timber Ponds. In the Renfrew Valuation List Auchenvale is listed along with Fyfe House and Carnegie park, which implies they are in conjoining area, loosely speaking, Auchenvale could have been a Terrace/Cottages/House as it only ever listed 5 names/familes.
The Alexander McDonald, was a Platelayer from Auchenvale, who lost a son in the Great War in 1915 by the name of Malcolm McDonald, but did not suffer such an unbearable loss as his Wife, Janet, who suffered two losses in two years as her Husband died in 1914.
A Big Thank You to "Orraman" who put me on the right track as Auchenvale came under Kilmacolm parish in earlier years before becoming Port Glasgow Parish/Burgh, and opened up the Census and Death Records to my Research. It seems this area was built over for Housing for Shipyard workers during the Great War, the Football Ground Clune Park disappeared and Ugly Flat roofed Tenement Blocks took their place, now derelict and awaiting re-development.

A New Caledonian Railway Staff List, will be ready soon, with over 22,000 entries now achieved. Auchenvale is listed under Port Glasgow Goods.
Any other Staff Records are always welcome, no matter how small, each name is Important.

David Blevins.
Attachments
Port Glasgow Goods - 1911 - Copy.jpg
Port Glasgow Goods - 1911 - Copy.jpg (52.01 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Last edited by David Blevins on Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimG

Post by JimG »

David Blevins wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 pm
The Station Manager for Port Glasgow and the Goods Agent, stayed in Fyfe Park House, which is North of the line, accessed under the railway on the shore, next to the Timber Ponds. In the Renfrew Valuation List Auchenvale is listed along with Fyfe House and Carnegie park, which implies they are in conjoining area, loosely speaking, Auchenvale could have been a Terrace/Cottages/House as it only ever listed 5 names/familes.
I've been having a delve around in the NLS Maps web site and your hint of Fyfe Park House led me to this possibility
Auchenvale-02.jpg
Auchenvale-02.jpg (53.94 KiB) Viewed 408 times
This is the 1855 map of the area with Fyfe (Fife) Park House and Carnegie House shown and with another building called Nether Auchinleck
Auchenvale-01.jpg
Auchenvale-01.jpg (57.74 KiB) Viewed 408 times
In the 1890s map, Nether Auchinleck has disappeared to be replaced by another building in the same location. Could this be Auchinvale?

Getting to know Port Glasgow quite well. :D

Jim G.
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

I love this detective work!!!
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

This is a fascinating piece of detective work but the latest developments turn up one other interesting point: the 1855 coloured map actually states the mileages written on the railway mile post - two entries; one for Greenock, the other for Glasgow. These correspond exactly with the unique type of Caledonian mileposts used on this line, which gave these figures in pairs and which I described in my article in The True Line. I wonder if this is proof that the cast-iron variety are in fact much older than I surmised, and date back to the opening of the line? No other Caledonian, or indeed any other railways, had mileposts with two sets of figures except very early tramways.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

I am enclosing another enlarged Map of Port Glasgow Goods for 1911, which hopefully will be much clearer than previously.
Fingers crossed.
The Fyfe House in the earlier coloured Map is the same one I came up with during my research, although not named in later Maps surely, must be the same one. Auchenvale seems to have been around since at least 1885, when a Valuation Roll was first detailed with CR Staff names, again 5 names/families. Although not "Named" on the Map must be there, and Housed Staff for the Port Glasgow Goods Station/Yard.
David Blevins.
Attachments
Port Glasgow Goods.jpg
Port Glasgow Goods.jpg (98.54 KiB) Viewed 376 times
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I note that there is a terrace of 5 houses in the bottom left of the above map, between the word 'Ward' and Newark Place. Could this have been called 'Auchenvale Terrace' with the 'terrace' omitted from the valuation roll? I don't see any other block of 5 similar houses which might have been built as employee dwellings.

Jim W
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

The Terrace of 5 is listed as Newark Place in some Maps, and I think it corresponds with a row of Tenements which still exists but with no road access only a lane/pathway which means the Google Camera Van never got access, so not sure if still occupied as most Tenements in that area seem to be in the process of Demolition or already Demolished.
On another angle, there is a "New" Caledonian Railway Staff List which should be available on the CRA Website soon, which includes Port Glasgow Goods with entries for C R Staff from 1885 to 1920.
Thank you to everyone who assisted in trying to Identify "Auchenvale" from the Renfrewshire Valuation Roll of Property.

David Blevins.