Sheep Wagon - 1874 Drawing

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
lindsay_g

Sheep Wagon - 1874 Drawing

Post by lindsay_g »

I've been having a few passing thoughts about the transport of sheep and, looking beyond the converted 8 ton wagons used (both pre diagram and diagram 24's), I've been mulling over the 1874 drawing of a Sheep and Coke wagon. Looking at it closely it very much resembles a cut-down cattle wagon being outside framed and planked within, with spaces between the lower side planks and within the bottom frame side.

All this mulling throws up a few questions :

- Might there be any photos of these wagons? I suspect not!

- Did they slosh out sheep wagons with lime as they did with cattle wagons? There is no evidence of this with the converted open goods with raves.

- Would they have a Load limit on them? Early cattle wagons did but not later ones. But as they were also designated for coke would that make the difference? Although longer and higher than the 10T loco coal wagons they were only carrying sheep or coke so possibly a lighter 8T rating?

- An image is attached below. There are raised areas at both ends above the top rail and also the door brackets have raised areas as well. The end raised area is continued across the width of the end view so possibly a wood section - but bolts shown in the side elevation would not hold well in end grain - altho' probably not critical. The upward extensions of the door hinges are intriguing - were these iron rods across the width of the wagon (but nothing is reflected in the plan view (not attached)?

Sheep Wagon.jpg
Sheep Wagon.jpg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 291 times
All distracting stuff, but interesting and intriguing to me at least!

Lindsay
MIKEWILLIAMS

Re: Sheep Wagon - 1874 Drawing

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Hello Lindsay

There is a photo in the wagon book - helpfully in the cattle section, page 183. I can't see whether there are tie bars across at the doors. Carrying sheep fell within the scope of the Diseases of Animals Act which specified the lime-wash treatment after each journey in traffic (WTT supplement). I suspect that the photos of adapted diagram 24 wagons for sheep traffic depict wagons waiting to be loaded, with the raves just fitted, therefore no lime wash. Looking at the very faint drawing of the sheep and coke wagon, the internal dimensions seem to be 16ft x 7ft x 4ft, giving capacity of 448 cu ft. Coke has a density of between 72 and 95 cu ft/ton. Taking the mid point of the range would give you about 5 1/2 tons fully loaded, so a load rating of 6 tons.

Best

Mike
lindsay_g

Re: Sheep Wagon - 1874 Drawing

Post by lindsay_g »

Cheers Mike,

I came across that image after my initial posting. It's very light inside suggesting that it has been doused in lime. Just a pity that it appears to be a cut down cattle wagon rather than the subject of the the 1874 drawing. The cattle wagon on the same page has metal rods strengthening the wagon in both directions so perhaps there was a need to add these to provide rigidity to outside frame construction.

Quite a calculation for the coke, thanks.

Lindsay