'Hooks' on Connor tenders

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
jimwatt2mm

'Hooks' on Connor tenders

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I'm currently building a 417 class 2-4-0 (No 426 in its rebuilt condition as on p144 of 'The Formative Years') from some more of John Boyle's etches and have just completed the tender body. I am curious as to what the purpose of the two large 'hooks' (I can think of no other word to describe them) on the rear of the tender was. Were they for carrying fire irons?
Tender body #4.JPG
Tender body #4.JPG (118.67 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
The 'spaghetti' of wires from the decoder to the motor will be trimmed once I get the gear to go on the motor shaft (they are currently out of stock in the 2MM SA shop). The object beside the motor is a block of 4 capacitors for the stay-alive, wrapped in PTFE tape as insulation. This has now all been covered by a framework of copper shim strips covered in tissue on top of which will be glued the coal.

The build can be followed at https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... ass-2-4-0/.

Jim W
Alisdair

Re: 'Hooks' on Connor tenders

Post by Alisdair »

Given the handrail on the side of the tender, it looks like it might have been assumed that someone was expected to be hanging on during movement. Could the hooks be for a shunting pole?
Alisdair
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Alisdair wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:13 pm Given the handrail on the side of the tender, it looks like it might have been assumed that someone was expected to be hanging on during movement. Could the hooks be for a shunting pole?
Alisdair
I wondered that too. Some of the 4-wheeled tenders attached to 0-4-2's had hooks at the rear of the LH frame for that. See p154 Plate 8.23, p158 plate 8.28, p164 plate 8.37 and p165 plate 8.38. Plate 8.39 on p166 has 635 with a 4-wheeled tender with these hooks on the frame, but there also is just a glimpse of what appears to be one of these bigger hooks on the rear, also just visible on the first photo I mention above.

Jim W
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

I have always assumed they were for shunting poles, but can I find the picture to substantiate that?
JimS