SECR Birdcage coaches mods as CR stock?

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Graham Tipple

SECR Birdcage coaches mods as CR stock?

Post by Graham Tipple »

Hi folks, I note that Bachmann have announced some SECR birdcage coaches. Are they likely to be modifiable for CR coaches, with the birdcage lopped off the end and roof, of course? Best wishes, Graham
Steve Parsons

Re: SECR Birdcage coaches mods as CR stock?

Post by Steve Parsons »

Not sure what you would be hoping to achieve with these Graham as I cant see them easily converting into anything remotely Caledonian. There are some etch kits around that with your soldering skills I'm would have thought would be better options. I'm chopping around some old Triang clerestory's to make some 45ft coaches but even that's a major compromise and I've fitted new "Fox" bogies and roofs to those as well as chopping them to get the correct compartment layout in fact by the time I've done there will be very little original Triang left. But looking at the Bachmann ones it looks like they would need even more work to make a passable Caley coach
Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple »

Hmm. Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately. the Caley Coaches stock aren't the three layer coaches, I think. They have smooth surfaces south of the waist line rather than the framing.
dalziel

Post by dalziel »

Graham,
John Boyle /Decent models produced a range of Lambie /McIntosh style 45'-0" etched kits in both 4mm and 7mm scales: 1st; 3rd; brake 3rd ; compo ; brake compo; coupe compo luggage; full brake and coupe brake lav:compo were all covered. They turn up from time to time on E bay and have now gone to Alba models, presumably to be re- introduced in the fullness of time. You should try contacting them to see if any are immediately available.

David Gallacher
Darlington
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

Graham

If you are looking to bash Hornby coaches into representations of CR stock, an invaluable source of inspiration is 'Steve's Caledonian coaches & wagon work bench' on RM web. Steve (aka London Tram) takes you through, in detail, how to make 45' and 48' stock from the old Tri-ang GWR clerestories. You can pick these up at exhibitions etc for c£8.00. I would post an image but I can't figure out how.
Another source of CR stock is the Worsley Works. They produce etched brass sides, floor, roof and ends for 45' stock in five varieties. They cost £30. I understand you have to provide bogies and other fitments. I have not tried them.

Good luck

Larry
Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple »

Thanks, Larry. I am a devotee of all Steve's threads on rmweb and have learned such a lot from them. I'll look up the Worsley works ones.