smokebox front wings

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Graham Tipple

smokebox front wings

Post by Graham Tipple »

Sorry if I'm filling this forum with daft questions. Here's one (two?). I really like the smokebox wings but note that the LMS removed them. What advantage did they give? Were they only cosmetic? Best wishes, Graham
Steve Parsons

Re: smokebox front wings

Post by Steve Parsons »

Cosmetic only..... Yes

Advantages.... None

It was a fashion of the time for Scottish engines. some may argue that it diverted grit and muck away from the inside motion where as it most likely caused a vortex and probably increased it but I think that's all with hindsight with modern knowledge back then it was purely fashion
Last edited by Steve Parsons on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

My impression is that it was a cosmetic 'nod' back the the Crewe type front end of the Connor era in which there was a smooth 'flow' from the smokebox to the outside cylinders, the latter being angled up through the running plate. That's just my 'take' on them, backed by no evidence whatsoever! :roll:

Jim W
lms14509

Post by lms14509 »

What about adding stability to the front end of the loco? (Given expansion with heating /cooling ?)
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

lms14509 wrote:What about adding stability to the front end of the loco? (Given expansion with heating /cooling ?)
Then why remove them en masse in late Caley early LMS days. By the 1920s fashions had changed and it was felt it made them look old fashioned and too Victorian so as they were shopped they were removed.