944 Class

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
LarryC

944 Class

Post by LarryC »

I recently acquired an unfinished scratch-build 944 class loco. Most of the missing detail I have now added but I am puzzled by two things. The first, relatively minor point is that on what seem to be early photographs, the tanks seem smooth, while on others, including those in LMS livery, there seem plates added to the sides of the tanks above the footsteps. Secondly, and more seriously, on the 'early' photographs ie those in Caledonian Cavalcade (p38) and Caledonian Railway Livery (p 100) show what seem to be a couple of 'horns' behind the chimney, while other photographs show a single assembly (perhaps the 'horns joined by an overall cover?).

Can anyone help?
dalziel

Re: 944 Class

Post by dalziel »

Larry,
On the side tanks above the footsteps there is a hinged access cover, on some photos it is open, see Locomotives Illustrated pp 26-29 if you have a copy. The GA drawing is not exactly clear about what is accessed. The fitting 1'-9" behind the chimney is the snifting valve which is a body with a perforated half spherical projection on each end, a typical Pickersgill fitting found also on the 60 class; 956 class and the later version of his 4-4-0's, you could try Alba Models for a whitemetal casting from their 4-4-0 kit. Hope this helps.

David Gallacher
LarryC

Re: 944 Class

Post by LarryC »

David

Thanks very much for clearing this up for me. The photo in Caledonian Cavalcade is quite misleading. I have checked my model of Pickersgill 4-4-0 No 97 and the snifting valve is there clearly. I've checked the dimensions and have made a valve from a biro tube with rounded projections made from wood. I've fixed it in position with a pin of brass wire. With some paint I think I'll get away with it.

Best wishes

Larry