The Caledonian at the movies.

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
dunalastairv

The Caledonian at the movies.

Post by dunalastairv »

In Geoffrey Jones' 1975 film for B.R. entitled "Locomotion" there is a short sequence of 'Dunalastair IV' No. 134 climbing, what I suspect, is Beattock bank and working hard at the head of a lengthy train. The clip is very short but nevertheless it's a superb piece of film. My question is does anyone know where this footage comes from and, in particular, is there any more? I'd certainly like to view all that is available!

Thanks in advance, Michael.
Dave Lochrie

Re: The Caledonian at the movies.

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Hi Michael,

Is it this one produced as a promo by the LNWR-
http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/0044
It also includes footage of Glasgow Central, Glasgow and Wemyss Bay "the prettiest station in Britain" and via CSPCo to Rothesay.
As well as the transport it is a great reference for fashion c.1912.
Look out for the pair of cheerfully oblivious Caledonian porters at 8.16, carring one small bag each -the spirit of Snooker Tam.
CR No134 on Beattock.jpg
CR No134 on Beattock.jpg (69.41 KiB) Viewed 9355 times
It is possible to do screen captures but the quality is poor, it is possible to freeze frame and identify the train of mixed CR and WCJS Carriages, and the 0-4-4T banking

Dave L
duncan

Post by duncan »

Fantastic film.

Is that a lamp on the smokebox on the loco in the above photo ?
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Delightful stuff, thank you, but I feel short-changed on the Clyde steamers.
That ballast on Beattock Bank was impressive, though.

JimS
JimG

Post by JimG »

I was just thinking that "Doon the Watter" hadn't changed much when I was going down it in the 1950s. :D

Jim G.
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

I believe a gentleman Theo Misa has mentioned to me that a Studio (the name of it escapes me) owns film of a CR 903 Cardean in LMS days. However, they have not released the film to the public. Id love to see some films of CR engines before grouping.

Kris
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

Also found this. At 4:18 you can see a Dunalastair IV and CR 72 Class moving off to take a Royal Train in 1918 with WCML stock. - http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/3360?sea ... _fuzzy=yes
lms14509

Post by lms14509 »

The name of the firm with footage of Cardean (and River 4-6-0s etc) in LMS days is the Hillside Publishing Company. I believe these are the actual Royal Train vehicles- not regular W.C.J.S .
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

Does anyone know if Hillside Publishing Co can be contacted to release their footage for educational use? Id love to see the rare footage (possibly the only known footage of a Cardean and River)

Kris
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

I have, at last, had the opportunity to look at all the postings under this heading and find myself, once again, greatly indebted to David Lochrie for correctly identifying the sequence I mentioned and thus introducing me to a total film delight, of which I was quite unaware. This movie was made only just over a hundred years ago and yet it might as well be a thousand, so utterly has everything changed, and yes, David, you're right about the 'Snooker Tam' porters at Wemyss Bay! My sincere thanks. Michael.
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Is that the Sou' West's steamer PS Juno on Rothesay Pier at c10:30? Wonderful film!

Jim W
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

According to the notes which accompany the film, yes it is "Juno".
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Duncan
A delayed reply about the "lamp" on the smokebox.
It is actually the front of the Schmidt superheater control as seen on sister locomotive CR135
Class 139 superheater control.jpg
Class 139 superheater control.jpg (262.58 KiB) Viewed 9188 times
The class 139 were the first to be so fitted and on later superheated classes the Robinson superheater was used, which was less bulky and potentially neater in appearance.

jim mac
duncan

Post by duncan »

many thanks Jim
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Just a final word on this - I ordered a copy of this movie from the National Library of Scotland, Moving Images Archive, a couple of weeks ago and this has now arrived, transcribed to d.v.d., in a proper box. Price £16:75 including postage and very good.