Livery query, C.R. 310A.

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
dunalastairv

Livery query, C.R. 310A.

Post by dunalastairv »

Here's a question for those in the know: plate 7.9, page 110, of the superb new book on C.R. locomotives, shows No. 310A in a bright, low, side light - probably as perfect as one could get for a photograph. There is a considerable difference between the colour textures of the engine and tender. Are we looking at a dark blue loco coupled to a light blue tender? If we are, I think this is the first time I've seen such a combination. Answers on a postcard - or this Forum!

Michael.
Steve Parsons

Re: Livery query, C.R. 310A.

Post by Steve Parsons »

The fact it was scrapped in 1895 I very much doubt this or any of her type ever received the "light" blue livery. I would suggest its most likely a light effect making it look different at first glance as its not just a difference between the loco and tender there's some big shade veriations between the loco boiler and some of the fittings.
David Blevins

Re: Livery query, C.R. 310A.

Post by David Blevins »

I too think it must be the light effect, CR 310A would have been in the Darker Blue.
Enclosed is a photograph taken at Perth with the Dark Blue Livery on the Engine and Tender being identical.
David Blevins.
Attachments
CR 310A at Perth..jpg
CR 310A at Perth..jpg (60.52 KiB) Viewed 1764 times