Dished Driving wheels

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
dumb buffer

Dished Driving wheels

Post by dumb buffer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:59 pm

This question floated into my mind as a result of a discussion in another place regarding axle lengths and thickened bosses on driving wheels.

The 903 (Cardean) class were fitted with leading coupled heels which were dished outwards in the centre to enable longer driving journals. Since the intermediate and trailing coupled wheels were not dished I'm not clear how they lined up the coupling rods. I'm fairly sure this has never been reproduced in model form, and I've no idea whether it was ever applied to any other locomotives.

As far as I can judge the dishing amounted to 1" each side --- this is derived from the description in Campbell Crawford's book. I don't have access to any suitable drawings

Allan F

Angus McIntosh

Re: Dished Driving wheels

Post by Angus McIntosh » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:01 am

Allan,

G.A. 13869 for 20" x 26" x 6' 6" Six Coupled Passenger Engine show the centre and trailing driving wheels with 1" long shoulders machined on the crank pins.
This is in addition to higher raised circular cast bosses on the centre and trailing wheels into which the crank pins mate. These are not dimensioned but look slightly less than the 1" shoulder and far thicker than the minimal cast raised boss on the leading wheels.

Angus

dumb buffer

Re: Dished Driving wheels

Post by dumb buffer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:24 pm

Thanks, Angus. I figured it was something like that. It was an issue that hadn't occurred to me until I read a series of postings in another place regarding raised bosses on model loco driving wheels. I knew about the dished wheels on Cardean, though. I wonder if dished driving wheels were used anywhere else.

Allan F