'Jubilee Pug' queries

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
jimwatt2mm

'Jubilee Pug' queries

Post by jimwatt2mm » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:48 pm

I am now at the stage of painting my Jubilee Pug. It has already received a coat of satin black from a rattle can and I have a query regarding the lining of the bunker rear.

Did the top line of the rear panel follow the curve of the bunker rear, with the number in the centre of the panel or was it a straight line at the level of that on the bunker sides, again with the number in the middle of the panel (and so slightly lower than it would be in the former case)?

My feeling is that, given the fact that the top line on the bunker sides is straight and does not follow the up-sweep at the rear (see Plate 14, page 191 of the Livery book) the latter would be the case.

Another thing which is not clear in my mind is the Class designation of these locos? An article in the July 1975 Model Railways by Duncan Burton lists 385 as the first member, but Campbell Cornwell's book lists 323 as the first member, which number is not on Duncan's list. I'm sure I've seen them elsewhere given as the 232 Class. The model I'm building is of the long wheelbase version (No. 217).

Your collective wisdom on both these issues would be appreciated.

Jim W

Alan K

Re: 'Jubilee Pug' queries

Post by Alan K » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:42 am

Hi Jim
Have a look at True Line Nos 93 & 94 for JF McEwan's input on Jubilee Pugs. There is a list in sequence of building which has 232 as first built, and 323 as 2nd. It doesn't give build dates, but 385 is there but quite a bit further down the list.
All the photos are side view, so that doesn't help with your other query.

Alan

jim mac

Post by jim mac » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:58 am

Unfortunately, I have only one very poor photo showing the rear of the engine, which doesn't answer either question on the lining or the positioning of the number on the rear panel.
CR384.jpg
CR384.jpg (96.81 KiB) Viewed 792 times
My instinct is that when outshopped the rear bunker sheet would have been lined in the conventional manner following its outside edge, rather than having a straight top, level with that on the bunker side and that the number would have been in the centre of the whole panel. However it could be argued that there is a hint of there being a lower panel, the top of which is level with the side sheet of the bunker.

CR323 was the first engine built to Y14 and outshopped in August 1887 and CR232 was the first engine of Y18 outshopped in December 1887, so the Class should be defined as the 323.
Note that CR384 in the above picture was originally CR538 (Y14) and was renumbered in 1918, which helps to date the photograph and explains the sad state of the engine's paintwork.
jim mac

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 pm

Thanks, both Alan and Jim.

In the absence of any hard evidence to the contrary, I'll go with the bunker panel following the top curve, with the number in the centre of that, though i agree with Jim's interpretation of the photo.

As to the class designation, I think TTL is where I got the notion that it was 232, but from Jim's post, it should be 323!

Jim W

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:08 pm

For anyone whose interested, my Jubilee Pug is now finished. Not quite up to the high standard of other pugs appearing on here :oops: . I am well aware of its shortcomings, but I'm afraid it's the best I can do and hopefully I've captured the character of the prototype.
Completed LHS small.JPG
Completed LHS small.JPG (98.55 KiB) Viewed 664 times
Completed ¾rear small.JPG
Completed ¾rear small.JPG (98.41 KiB) Viewed 664 times
There are more photos and a video of it arriving to take up it's duties here.https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt=3823469.

Jim W

PS. On my screen these photos come out over 3x actual size. the model is 63.5mm over buffers.

Graham R

Post by Graham R » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:51 pm

That loco looks stunning Jim. And it looks like she runs beautifully. Will she be appearing at Model Rail?
Graham

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:44 pm

Graham R wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:51 pm
That loco looks stunning Jim. And it looks like she runs beautifully. Will she be appearing at Model Rail?
Thanks, Graham,

I'll probably bring it along to put on the 2mm SA Roadshow stand.

Jim W

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:52 pm

Impressive as ever Jim.