Water Filler on CR 1167

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
lindsay_g

Water Filler on CR 1167

Post by lindsay_g » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:38 am

This really is a long shot! I'm wondering if anyone might have any information or images of the water filler on CR No 1167, one of the 0-4-4 well tanks.

When introduced as No 488, it had a filler c12" tall. Some time between introduction and during its spell renumbered as 167 the water filler grew to c18". Later, when renumbered again as 1350 the filler was very much reduced in height or replaced and that continued into its days as 1167 with no trace of a filler in any image that I've seen. At such a low height because of its location there must have been the chance of it being covered during coaling.

1167 water fillers.jpg
Clockwise from top left : 488, 167, 1670, 1350
1167 water fillers.jpg (59.55 KiB) Viewed 253 times

By comparison. its sister engine seemed to retain a tall filler (c18") throughout.

Lindsay

lindsay_g

Water Filler and Vent on CR 1167

Post by lindsay_g » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:38 pm

I've expanded the question to cover not just the filler but a possible vent pipe (assuming that's what it is) - but I can't now change the thread title.

Such a vent is included on a drawing by John Boyle just forward of the filler but I haven't been able to make this out in any of the images of 1167,1168,1169 or 1170 (or in any of their previous incarnations). However, unless my imagination is running away with me, there does appear to be something that may be a vent in several images. It appears to be a vertical pipe with a cowl on top (and a knob or something on the cowl?). The attached images show this possible vent on 1167 (the top 2 images with the possible vent arrowed in the left image); on 1168 (bottom left) and on 169 (bottom right). In the image of 169 there appears to be a protective box built over the pipe - atop the box is a ton or so of coal perhaps explaining the existence of the box. In an earlier image of 1167 in it's period as 167 there is a similar box but the pipe can't be discerned beneath it.

Vents.jpg
Vents.jpg (33.79 KiB) Viewed 198 times
I'm now starting to wish I'd purchased the Early Locos book from the Association so that I could find similar arrangements on other locos. In the absence of that, can anyone say whether vents were common and have any images of similar arrangements?

In the meantime, I'm carrying on building a model of the well tank with the image below showing the filler and vent presently. The filler is presently too tall (if it remained in that position in 1350/1167 days) but it is attached by a screw so can easily be altered/removed. The vent is just a quick lash up and is presently too tall and out of position, until I make a final decision or get more info. (Apologies for the well worn and weathered appearance of the build in the image).

Lindsay

Filler and Vent.jpg
Filler and Vent.jpg (57.51 KiB) Viewed 198 times

Jim Summers

Re: Water Filler on CR 1167

Post by Jim Summers » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:39 am

Lindsay, I can't help commenting about how beautifully square that assembly sits. The whole thing looks very fine as well.

JIms