Odd Horsebox

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
dumb buffer

Odd Horsebox

Post by dumb buffer »

This image is currently circulating on the HMRS forum for identification. Apart from the fact that it's Drummond panelling, I don't know, Though I'd bet that it's a John Boyle etching. Any suggestions?

Allan F
Odd Horsebox.jpg
Odd Horsebox.jpg (22.54 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
jimwatt2mm

Re: Odd Horsebox

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I can't comment on the provenance of the etch, but it looks very like a Dia. 9 horsebox with that single door on the right, Mike's wagon book p193. The Dia. 8 had double doors to the tack/fodder compartment.

Jim W
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

The extra window at the right hand end isn't in the photograph on p193. Apart from these two facts the etch is identical to the dia 9 horsebox (I have one)
Allan F
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Allan, that's a solid panel at the right hand end of the etch, is it not?

Jim W
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

My Apologies Alan. Having looked again at the photo, I see that there is no window to the right of the grooms compartment door on the Dia 9 (or the Dia 8, for that matter).

Jim W
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

Sorry, I did mean the right hand side of the groom's compartment. But if I can't trust what I say, what hope do you have?

Allan F (isolated, vulnerable, and wool gathering)
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

I'm baffled by this one. It's not Caley Diagram 8 or 9, and I've looked through Peter Tatlow's NPCS book and it isn't there.

Best - no not even good,

Mike
Alisdair

Post by Alisdair »

I have sent a response to the HMRS group. I think it may be a refurbished Highland Railway diagram 46 horse box as rebuilt under Peter Drummond's jurisdiction, based upon its dimensions, a rough sketch and a large amount of supposition, partly based upon Peter D's predilection for following the path laid by big brother, Dugald, on the Caley.
Alisdair
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

That sounds like a sound inference. What got to me was that I would almost swear it was one of John Boyle's etches, and I was trying to think where he got the original details, Which was largely at the Archives in Birmingham. At base we'll never know for sure until somebody finds a drawing or photograph. Don Rowland's advice to me, when pondering some uncertainty about the prototype, was to build it as best you know, then put it on show. Then wait for someone to tell you it's wrong, and ask them to prove it!

Allan F
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Yes, it certainly does match the sketch in Hunter's book where it's described as type A. There doesn't appear to be a photograph, but the later, larger HR van has the same sort of panelling. A further question: who produced the etch in the first place?

Best

Mike
Alisdair

Post by Alisdair »

Charlie Wrigley has informed me that the etch was produced by Lochgorm Kits as a HR diagram 46. Charlie is the new owner of Lochgorm Kits, after the death of its previous owner, Andy Copp, who produced the kit.
Alisdair