Locomotive Route Indicators

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Carina M

Locomotive Route Indicators

Post by Carina M »

Does anyone have information on the dimensions of the arms of these route indicators, which were still in use well into BR days? I can guesstimate from photos, but actual dimensions would be really helpful. Carina
dunalastairv

Re: Locomotive Route Indicators

Post by dunalastairv »

Hello Carina,

I have what I suspect is a B.R. made one, which has a note attached saying it was used with either 54487 or 54478. It consists of a piece of flattened boiler tube, 8" long, which fits over the lamp bracket on the engine, rounded at the end away from the boiler; a 1/2" BSW hexagon bolt, 2" long, with a substantial cast-brass wing nut on the thread end, which holds two pieces of wood to make the indicator. These are 1/2" thick, half rounded at the wing-nut end, cut at right angles at the outer end, and 3 3/4", tapering down to 3" at the half round, 13" long. Hope this helps.

Best wishes, Michael.
Carina M

Post by Carina M »

Hello Michael,

Many thanks for your reply, which gives me all the information I was hoping for. I can recall frequently waiting on the platform at Queens Park or Mount Florida many years ago and checking the route indicator of the approaching train, to ensure it was for Kirkhill and not an outer circle or Whitecraigs one.

Now to build a few in 4mm scale...

Best wishes, Carina
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

You must have very good eyes and a large magnifying glass! Good luck...
Carina M

Post by Carina M »

Thanks! I'll find out before long...
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Carina,
Dear old John Boyle did an etch under his Decent Models brand. I cannot recall where or when I got it, and indeed only rediscovered it the other day. Picture attached, I hope.
The arms are fractionally over 3mm in 4mm scale.
I only have the one etch, it is not enough to equip your fleet, but I can let you have the Clyde Coast ones from the etch.

In fact, including such things on the mooted Odds and Ends Caledonian etch might be a good idea. Sorting out that old etch idea might be a good job for the guilty parties, which includes me, during lockdown . . . .

Jim S
Semaphore indicators etch by Decent Models .jpg
Semaphore indicators etch by Decent Models .jpg (72.66 KiB) Viewed 800 times
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Here are the photos of the original which Michael has but the pictures of which he was unable to upload to the Forum.

Very useful, and thank you Michael
Semaphore indicator #1 - Michael Dunn reduced  .jpg
Semaphore indicator #1 - Michael Dunn reduced .jpg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Semaphore indicator #2 - Michael Dunn reduced ..jpg
Semaphore indicator #2 - Michael Dunn reduced ..jpg (63.96 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Carina M

Post by Carina M »

Many thanks, Jim, for your offer of a few particular examples from your etch, and for posting photos of the original which complement the dimensions which Michael kindly provided. The only route indicator I need at present is the one for Wemyss Bay, and fortunately that is one of the simpler ones since only one arm is visible (in the 3 o'clock position). I'm planning to make this from some scrap etch, and use exactly the same method of attachment as the prototype, i.e. flattened tube. In this case brass microtube 1.2mm OD, 1.0mm ID.

This is the method I am using to attach loco and tail lamps from Dave Franks' excellent Lanarkshire Models range. Here, 2mm lengths of tube are gently squeezed in a vice, and then flats are filed on the resulting broad faces before attaching to the back of the lamps with epoxy. The idea is to make the lamps demountable. If I succeed I'll post a picture, but if I don't I shall be pleased to accept your generous offer.

Carina M