Milk Truck or Fish & Foul Truck

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
David Elvy

Milk Truck or Fish & Foul Truck

Post by David Elvy »

Like most other folk I am slowly clearing my shelf of started kits, the attached photo is a 7mm scale kit started a few years ago and before the book on wagons was available.

I've been round the houses trying to confirm the identity of this vehicle, reading the wagon book it is a milk truck, drawings from the CR wagon collection of drawings suggests it's a fish & foul truck, can anyone help me confirm what vehicle this kit body is?

Apologies if this should be in the modelling section, posted here as I am trying identify the prototype.

David
Attachments
20200531_231815.jpg
20200531_231815.jpg (39.71 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
MIKEWILLIAMS

Re: Milk Truck or Fish & Foul Truck

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Hello David

The register of carriages and non-passenger rolling stock describes them as "milk truck covered." The 1921 list of coaching vehciles (appendix 1 in the carriage book) descibers them as "milk vans." There is a discrepancy between the two records. The Register says that there were 3 4-wheeled vans (12, 13 and 15) and 6 6-wheelers (3, 4 ,5, 19, 20, 127). The 1921 appendix says there were only 3 6-wheelers (19, 20 and 127)

Best

Mike
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

There was a drawing by John Boyle which described it as a fish or fowl van (which I presume is what you have). But I've read somewhere that these vehicles (or these sort of vehicles) were used for milk traffic as well, being well ventilated. Also that they were used for empty casks, being light and bulky. They were of course built on old carriage frames, but with a three ton load they couldn't, I think, have carried a lot of milk churns.

Your kit was almost certainly from John Boyle, since it appears identical to his drawing

Allan F
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

Thank you Mike and Allan, I suspected my question would receive an answer that wasn't straightforward, information about these vehicles being used for empty casks is of particular interest.

Do we know what livery they have carried for use as empty cask vehicle's?

Thanks, David
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

I've never heard of them being used for empty casks, Allan. Are you confusing them with the Diagram 12 barrel trucks that were built between 1885 and 1893? They too were built on old carriage underframes. The 4-wheeled milk vans were Westinghouse fitted to run on passenger trains according to the 1921 list, and as such would have been painted brown.

Best

Mike
RobinV

Post by RobinV »

The model is of a 4 wheel vehicle built on an old carriage underframe and was produced as a kit in cast resin by Port Wynnstay. They were sold either directly at some shows or from Chris at Invertrain. Phil Traxon who produced the kits has gone into semi-retirement but could possibly be persuaded to produce more if demand was there. I made the patterns for that kit.
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

dumb buffer wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:21 pm
There was a drawing by John Boyle which described it as a fish or fowl van (which I presume is what you have). But I've read somewhere that these vehicles (or these sort of vehicles) were used for milk traffic as well, being well ventilated. Also that they were used for empty casks, being light and bulky. They were of course built on old carriage frames, but with a three ton load they couldn't, I think, have carried a lot of milk churns.

Your kit was almost certainly from John Boyle, since it appears identical to his drawing

Allan F
Allan,

Do you have any details available regarding these vehicles being used for empty cask traffic, thanks?

David
jasp

Post by jasp »

There was an article on empty cask wagons, used by CR, NBR and GSWR, in the Sou’ West Journal some times about. Surprisingly, HR and GNSR apparently did not have such vehicles
The author - one of our members - is currently re-writing the article with additional information for, hopefully, publishing in TTL
Jim P
Last edited by jasp on Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

This was Port Wynstay's publicity shot of their kit.
Fish and Fowl Van.jpg
Fish and Fowl Van.jpg (85.7 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Rather co-incidentally a complete set of transfers for this van pre-existed the kit on the PC Models, later HMRS, sheets in both 7mm and 4mm.
Diag29a-No13.jpg
Diag29a-No13.jpg (161.46 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Dave L
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

Thank you all, useful information and a good reference photo to work from, thanks.

David