Rails around Glasgow

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
WCML55.68

Rails around Glasgow

Post by WCML55.68 »

Hello all,

The Transport Treasury have just released a very limited run of a wee paperback book "Rails around Glasgow", 9½x7" 60 pages and only 100 print run. £10 posted. It was produced for a Glasgow Model Railway show, presumably cancelled because of lockdown. Top quality and one photo per page, and not to be confused with an earlier title of the same name by WAC Smith and John Thomas. Mainly in the 50s and 60s there's quite a few Caley photos and some which will definitely stir. One of particular interest is the wee Fairfield steeple cab electric loco running on trolleybus booms and pulling a bogie bolster laden with enthusiasts out the yard on to Govan Road, much to the amazement of the Constabulary and locals! A very gricey book.

P.

https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/rail ... ic-series/
Last edited by WCML55.68 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Blevins

Re: Rails around Glasgow

Post by David Blevins »

Thank you for the tip-off, ordered it just now.
David Blevins.
Orbiston

Post by Orbiston »

Me too! you should ask for commission :D
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

lolololol we will have to come to some agreement! Just glad to be of help, i dont think they will last long.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Be fast if you want a copy, website says only 19 copies left, 28/06/20
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

On the Fairfield engine, I thought I would mention, in case anyone is not aware that it now resides in the Museum of Scottish Railways at Bo'ness. In the last year it acquired the livery and signwriting of an earlier era than that quoted as being in the book. Incidentally, it reverted to the bow tram collector for preservation.

Jim S
Fairfield engine 2020 reduced .jpg
Fairfield engine 2020 reduced .jpg (73.15 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Thanks for that Jim, it must be 20 years since we were last at Bo'ness. Must rectify that. Im not sure sure how long shes been there, dont remember seeing her.

Theres a cracking shot of her here doing what she was supposed to do! and also on trolleys.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/actonwell ... 8wd-5uS9SF
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

I remember seeing her from the top deck of a tram. I have a feeling there was some doubt about whether there was sufficient clearance for the two vehicles to pass each other. Can anyone remember? I'm sure she had a bow collector then. There was no problem with the trolleybuses, of course. Whispering Death!

Allan F
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

We knew the Trolleybus as the Silent Death!

Yes the Fairfield had a bow collector originally but had to be converted to Trolley Bus booms when the tram wires along Govan Road were taken down.

I should imagine that it was quite disconcerting to be on or driving a tram and see a train coming the other way! There was also some dual use tram tracks down by the docks.
The ex Liverpool Green Goddess cars purchased by GCT in 1953/54 were confined to two routes in Glasgow, because of their size and fear of sideswipes on corners. The 29s were deemed the most suitable route but later they appeared on the 15s. Ironically very few made it to 1960 and some of the GCT Standard cars which they were purchased to replace outlasted them!

P
Orbiston

Post by Orbiston »

Left hand side of P53 - tantalising glimpse of coach. Can't identify it. Was it a CR coach?
jasp

Post by jasp »

Just received my copy and realise that I already have it.
Anyone who has missed out on a copy can have it for what I paid, i.e. £10
Jim P