Jumbo General Arrangement Drawings

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
lindsay_g

Jumbo General Arrangement Drawings

Post by lindsay_g »

Might anyone have copies of original CR Jumbo GA's that I might be sent copies of? Because of lockdown there won't be access to any of these that might exist in archive libraries. The various drawings in the Jumbo book are great but there are none of the GA's that are littered with dimensions (akin to the tender GA's shown on pages 30 and 31). I'm not sure if there would have been later GA's drawn showing the deeper chassis frames or if there might have been separate drawings for these frames. I'd be interested in seeing any drawings showing the original and deeper chassis.

Lindsay
caleyJim

Re: Jumbo General Arrangement Drawings

Post by caleyJim »

Hi

I have some GAs but copying them is currently problematic. I have an A3 scanner which is of some use if you can tell me precisely what you need.

Jim
Keith Fenwick

Post by Keith Fenwick »

A GA of the 714 class will appear in Campbell's book so I have an electronic copy of that.
Keith
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

I received copies of GA’s from Jim Watt. Meant to report it here and thank him publicly. Memory lets me down yet again!

Lindsay
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

One of the most desireable items would be a drawing which shows the deeper frames which date from 1910 (and therefore comes after the 714 Class GA). These deeper frames came in mostly after Grouping and can readily be seen sticking out behind the central splasher on many pictures of Jumbos in LMS days.

Alan
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Can offer a copy of drawing number 8670 for 18" x 26" x 5'0" Goods Engine if this is different from what you have received from other sources. It might be dated 11/11/11 but its hard to decipher. Years ago I have written on it Class 711 but I would not take that as gospel.

Jim
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

Yes please Jim, that would be great. The Jumbo book only gives a simplified version of drawing no. 8670. I will pm you with an e-mail address, and will share it with Lindsay. Incidentally, there was some controversity about what was the first true McIntosh engine, but Campbell Cornwell now concedes that it should be 714 and not 711.

Alan
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

According to the SRX register drawing 8670 was dated 01/11/1897

Best

Mike
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Quite prepared to believe that - what I take to be the date is a minute annotation.
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

The drawing I have, which is a photocopy from the OPC collection, appears to be dated 16-10-19. I can't see a number on it, but the frames are dimensioned at 1'6" between the driving and rear coupled wheels.

Jim
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Whatever the date of the 8670 drawing provided by Jim Smellie (and the date is a bit of a smudge on the copy), the clarity in the copy of the drawing is otherwise very good - perhaps better than any other period GA's (of Jumbos at least) than I've seen. It will provide more accurate measurement of items, and in that respect it's a welcomed receipt (thanks, Jim).

The frames in that drawing are the original depth. Keith - what might be the depth of the frames in the drawing that you have? The lower main line of the original frames went through the centre of the axles, the later frames were somewhat lower than that but we haven't seen any drawings as yet with that later depth of frame.

Lindsay