There have been several discussions on the Forum about wagon brakes, the McIntosh Patent Brake and why the latter did not persist.
The answers is simply that it did not comply with the recommendations of a committee set up in 1906 by the Board of Trade to consider the question of wagon brakes. The committee recommended that all wagons should have brakes that could be applied on both sides of the wagon by a lever at the right hand end.
Various periods were given for wagons to be fitted with acceptable braking systems and it is likely that the McIntosh brakes on Caledonian wagons were replaced by the Moreton or similar designs that did comply.
Further details are contained in the extract from the Railway Magazine of September 1907 attached.
Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
1 post • Page 1 of 1