C.R. Semaphore Route Indicators

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Short Road Pilot

C.R. Semaphore Route Indicators

Post by Short Road Pilot »

I am not sure if this particular aspect has been raised before?
On reading through pages 121-124 'Route Indicator For Passenger Engines' of my C.R. 1st May 1915 Appendix it is mentioned that "Low Level trains will carry Indicator on the centre of buffer beam" also, trains to and from Edinburgh running to Balloch had to carry the Indicator on the centre of the buffer beam.
Generally, there was no 'stud'/Lamp Iron fixing on the front buffer beam/front running plate on C.R. Locos. BUT a trawl through a fair number of C.R. passenger loco photographs turns up a few photos where there exists a 'stud' or Lamp Iron on the front buffer beam /front running plate.
A further bit of research shows that, at least, the '92' & '879' Classes had such a device which folded down on to the front running plate - see page 116 of Campbell's new book for a drawing of the '879' Class where you can just see the 'stud'/Lamp Iron in the vertical position and on page 117 (upper) of '92' Class 0-4-4T No.97 you can just see the 'stud'/Lamp Iron in the lowered position. Although not shown on the drawing of the '714' Class 0-6-0 on page 104 the photograph on page 105 of '714' Class No.583 at Dawsholm appears to show the 'stud'/Lamp Iron in the vertical position. It would appear that all locos operating on the Glasgow Central Low Level lines had this device or something similar as required as per the instructions in the Sectional Appendix. So far so good!!
A further trawl through a whole series of older photos on my computer files it appears that some 2-4-0's carried a front 'stud' or some sort of fixing for the route indicator (see photo),as well as Connor 2-2-2 No.87 (See front cover of David's book (and page107 -same photo) on the early C.R. Locos).
How widespread these front buffer/front running plate fixings were and when first applied it is very difficult to say, as the vast number of photos trawled through show no such fixings on C.R. passenger locos and are absent from the Goods Classes with the possible exception of the'714' Class. Comments and observations welcomed.
This may be a useful addition for modellers!

Graham J. A. Todd (GJAT)
C R 2 -4-0 No 426 at St Rollox20170112 (2).jpg
C R 2 -4-0 No 426 at St Rollox20170112 (2).jpg (62.6 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Alan K

Re: C.R. Semaphore Route Indicators

Post by Alan K »

That's a useful bit of info, Graham, which probably explains the reason for the occasional appearance of buffer beam lamp irons in pre LMS times. In addition to those mentioned, the GA for the Drummond Jumbo shows it (although not the McIntosh Jumbo), and the photo of the Lambie 19 Class on p95 also. But it's not always clear in the photos whether they were taken in true CR times, as it took a while before all the engines passed through the paintshop. Thus for example the 439 Class engine on p118 which appears to be still in CR livery has clearly had LMS lamp irons added so that it can comply with the rules of the new regime. So a single central iron has a different significance from three.... The other difference between CR and LMS practice might be that the Caley preferred a hinged item whereas the LMS introduced a cut-out on the front fall plate to clear the (fixed) lamp iron when the fall plate was hinged down for inspection.

Alan
Short Road Pilot

Re: C.R. Semaphore Route Indicators

Post by Short Road Pilot »

Thanks Alan for your comments. The whole buffer beam/Front running plate 'stud/Lamp Iron fixing appears to be a bit Ad Hoc if I may say so. At some point I will try and have a look through the St Rollox Drawing Register to see if there is any sort of reference to 'stud'/Lamp Iron fixings - may take a while!
Just to confuse matters further. I have another photo of C.R.2-4-0 No.461 which also has a Semaphore Route Indicator on the front running plate/buffer beam but it appears to be 'off centre'? I will try and post it if I can get the file size down as it is too big to attach.
Certainly I would agree that the application of the lamp irons at the time of the Grouping would be done fairy rapidly, even while locos were still in C.R. livery, to comply with the new set up, and such a simple application of the lamp irons could easily be done at the locomotive sheds by the fitters without the recourse of going to St Rollox.

GJAT.