Bachmann porthole stock blue/grey

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
WCML55.68

Bachmann porthole stock blue/grey

Post by WCML55.68 »

Afternoon all,

For those with an interest in BR era too, just to prove that the big boys do actually listen sometimes is Bachmanns announcement of some of their superb Porthole stock in BR Blue & grey. At the moment, I can only see them with Rails and on their own website. At a price, but gut feeling is they wont be around for long.

https://railsofsheffield.com/search?searchTerm=porthole

Much of this is from memory but I think the refurbishment and repainting of some porthole stock was in relation to the introduction of a new Euston electric timetable mid 60s based on frequent interval services to the major destinations. This required a larger number of rakes of coaches and a shortage of brake ends became apparent. So a few portholes were selected for upgrading, ETH, 100mph and blue/grey repaint until more new build Mark 2s were available. In the event a very few non-brakes, two corridor 2nd and one corridor composite, were done too. They didnt run for very long.

Much research has been carried out and copious notes made but only 5 running numbers, M26934, M27001, M13135M, M13167M and M26435M, on three different types of coach have been identified. Does anyone have any info on these or any others?

I suggested to Bachmann several years ago about the possibility of production and passed on the results of all the research and again last year with further information. Well pleased with their announcement. 😊
Orbiston

Re: Bachmann porthole stock blue/grey

Post by Orbiston »

The price is eyewatering. How does it cost twice as much to paint a coach blue and grey rather than crimson and cream?
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Indeed it is. The price of all model railways, especially whats made in China, is rocketing and consequently second-hand prices are holding up well too generally. The first release of portholes was the crimson/cream version. I think they were around £38 a throw, but the maroon ones were definitely £46.70, first released January 2017. Its possible the crimson ones left are Rails are reduced price to clear, the maroons were a virtual sell out. These blue/greys are only re-liveried with possible alternative details so the price hike seems inordinately high. The quandary is whether to invest in a couple now or risk leaving until they come down down in price, if ever. They may sell out depending on the number produced and demand. My outlook on the price is swings and roundabouts, bargains enable a bit more on other things.
One things for sure, there wernt many pre-nationalisation passenger coaches painted in Blue and grey, the only others which spring to mind were the three Gresley wooden bodied buffets.
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

We have just restored a Gresley teak-sided sleeper at Bo'ness SRPS, and given it the blue and grey scheme, which it wore at the end.
It was incidentally the first sleeper to have showers, despite what you might think from the present Caledonian Sleepers outfit's comments on their new stock.

JimS
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

I think we all might be in for a bit of a fright over prices. This is largely because shipping costs from the Far East are going through the roof and I believe shipping containers are hard to find at the moment.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Jim Summers wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:04 am We have just restored a Gresley teak-sided sleeper at Bo'ness SRPS, and given it the blue and grey scheme, which it wore at the end.
It was incidentally the first sleeper to have showers, despite what you might think from the present Caledonian Sleepers outfit's comments on their new stock.

JimS
Thanks for that Jim, I didnt know about the Gresley sleeper in blue and grey but I vaguely remember stumbling on some photos of some LMS variants receiving same in course of my research.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

caleyJim wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:57 pm I think we all might be in for a bit of a fright over prices. This is largely because shipping costs from the Far East are going through the roof and I believe shipping containers are hard to find at the moment.
I think the situation in China has also been having an effect on prices for a few years. Its scary, but perhaps we will see some return to the UK as far as manufacturing is concerned? I hope the Bachmann CR 812 class are going to remain at the quoted price, £180-200 for an 0-6-0 tender loco is fairly eye watering to start with.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Whilst on the phone to Rails about the 812 Class sound, I enquired about how well the Bachmann blue/grey Portholes were selling. The brake ends are 80% sold and the Seconds are 75% sold. Amazing considering the price so its unlikely that they will have large stocks left to shift at discounted prices.

P.