Another Unidentified Locomotive

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Niall Ferguson

Another Unidentified Locomotive

Post by Niall Ferguson »

Another photograph from the collection newly acquired by HMRS. The leading locomotive is Dunalistair 2 No.766 still in Caley livery and after 1917 (when the name was removed) but where is it and (more interestingly) what is the non-Caley 4-4-0 couple to it which appears to be an outside-cylindered 4-4-0 that looks somewhat Midland in appearance and what might the occasion be?
Niall Ferguson
Attachments
LMA361small.jpg
LMA361small.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 509 times
caley739

Re: Another Unidentified Locomotive

Post by caley739 »

The train engine is a Standard LMS Compound 4-4-0 with left hand drive built from September 1923 onwards. The semaphore route indicator on the middle lamp bracket of the leading engine is for Carlisle to Glasgow Central or Edinburgh Princes Street.. My estimate for the date is 1923-1927 and this was a fairly routine combination of power for a main line express before the introduction of the Fowler Royal Scot 4-6-0s.
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

I've seen this picture somewhere before, though I simply can't remember where. I'm pretty certain the location was given as Dalry Road and the background looks right for that.
caley739

Post by caley739 »

DunalastairV
I've found this photo in The Association Photo Archive ref.CRA7/1/3/10, where it is captioned as leaving Aberdeen c1927, but I'm not convinced that Aberdeen is correct, the bow tie indicator alone rules that out for me. Your Dalry Road suggestion is more convincing. The leading coach appears to be non corridor, which makes me think of the Carstairs or Lanark or Peebles Portion on an Express for Carlisle and the South.
Niall Ferguson

Post by Niall Ferguson »

Thanks everyone, I thought it was an LMS Compound but lacked the courage of my convictions. I'm sure more images will follow from the same source
Niall
Short Road Pilot

Post by Short Road Pilot »

I have had a closer look at the background and I am pretty certain that this photograph was taken either just to the north of Polmadie shed or opposite Polmadie shed. The buildings in the background could be the NBL Queens Park Works (formerly Dubs & Coy) or the Sentinal Works which lay opposite Polmadie. Both have a similar industrial background. The train is a Glasgow - Carlisle and the south as indicated by the semaphore route indicator. The double heading could mean either it is a heavy train or 766 is being worked back to Carlisle. The photograph must be post 1926 as the first Compounds went to Kingmoor about that time.

GJAT.
Niall Ferguson

Post by Niall Ferguson »

Many thanks for extra information