Wagon origin

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
jim mac

Wagon origin

Post by jim mac »

Photographed at Perth, can anyone suggest an origin.
Attachments
Van at south end of Perth Station
Van at south end of Perth Station
DSC_0077.JPG (594.58 KiB) Viewed 7776 times
Jim Summers

Re: Wagon origin

Post by Jim Summers »

Nil return from this reader, Jim.

Jim S
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

I photographed this body many years ago, before it was enveloped by jungle, and memory says that I thought then it was of MR origin. Unfortunately the photograph was long before digital, and it might take me many more years to find the print. On the face of it it could be a CR 10 tonner, which could make sense here. Measurement of length etc might give a clue, but I wouldn't imagine we could get close to it nowadays.

Allan F
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

I think it's probably MR too. Slater's do a kit of something similar if not identical.
Last edited by MIKEWILLIAMS on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

I thought it was maybe like one of these?
10t van reduced.jpg
10t van reduced.jpg (26.91 KiB) Viewed 7734 times
Allan F
JimG

Post by JimG »

MIKEWILLIAMS wrote:I think it's probably MR too. Slater's do a kit of something similar if not identical. Definitely not CR 10 ton to Diagram 67. They had doors sliding to the left, so no diagonal framing.
Mike,

I checked out my Essery/Jenkinson Midland wagon books and the standard Midland van had a different pattern of framing on the side - i.e. a central vertical member and two diagonal members making the shape of a "V".

Could it be an NB van? I have some memories of old NB vans sitting in the Singer yard at Clydebank many years ago which might have looked like this.

Jim.
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Jim,
I'm pretty certain this is a NBR 8 Ton Van to Diag10/11. As well as the patern of the original 3 hinge doors, I can see (or convince myself I can see) the central "t" section angle iron between the wooden end stantions.

There is a photo on Page 14 of John Hooper's "Wagons on the LNER, No1 North British", the caption rather conveniently goes on to state
"Many grounded bodies did end up as useful stores, bothies etc and it is possible that some still exist today in that role". The "windows" would be either a later modification or could represent one of the conversions as a Pooley's test van.

I've surprised myself by making my first post on the CRA Forum about an NBR vehicle, but I promise to do better in future.
And just to surprise myself further I will attempt to upload a couple of images. The prototype image is a poor enlargement of the very modelable Eyemouth, with the van centre stage, and because I've limited NBR protype pictures on my computer I enclose a model shot from a similar angle.
Attachments
NBR 8tonvan.jpg
NBR 8tonvan.jpg (332.27 KiB) Viewed 7723 times
Eyemouth NBR.jpg
Eyemouth NBR.jpg (321.2 KiB) Viewed 7723 times
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

There's a drawing of the NBR 8 ton van in Model Railway News August 1963, page 300.

You'll see that I've edited my previous post about the possible C.R origin. I was wrong - apologies

Thanks for the pic of Eyemouth - we're staying there on Friday night!

Mike
JimG

Post by JimG »

MIKEWILLIAMS wrote:There's a drawing of the NBR 8 ton van in Model Railway News August 1963, page 300.

You'll see that I've edited my previous post about the possible C.R origin. I was wrong - apologies
I think that might be the drawing I used to identify the vans in Singers mentioned above. The vans were lettered up as "Singer" but looked pre-Grouping and the drawing confirmed it. I don't think I ever saw the vans having being moved - I suspect they were permanently parked on a siding and used for storage in their wood yard. (All viewed from Blue Trains on the Yoker loop ;) )

Jim.