Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Hello to all

123 was build with a unique 2.850 gallon tender and while it largely ran in service with a 3,130 gallon tender, Campbell Cornwell’s asserts in his book “Caledonian Railway Locomotives – The Classic Years”. (https://lightmoor.co.uk/books/caledonia ... ears/L8757) “She eventually regained her original Neilson tender from ‘Jumbo’ No. 413”. Am I correct in thinking that this is the tender she still has in preservation?

Jim
Steve Parsons

Re: 123

Post by Steve Parsons »

I've always believed so Jim, the easiest way to recognise the tender is when built the chassis cut out had a "half moon" shaped curved top where as the standard tenders just had an oval slot between each axle box.

The other give away I believe is The rear tender steps are more substantial on the Singles tender than on the Standard one.

In the original tender swap the Singles tender as you say went to Lambie built Jumbo No. 413 but again as you say regained this tender when preserved which it still has to this day.

On a light hearted note for many of us modelers if it had kept the second standard tender it might have meant that Triang would have modeled that instead of the original tender which would have made life much easier when building other Caledonian locos.
As it is the tender can be modified but takes work. In the past I've filled in the frames and re cut the oval cut outs I've also changed the tanks for a GBL T9 tank to model the version without the rear tool box.
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

Although the 123 in preservation was reunited with its original tender, it should be noted that the London Road kit for the 123 has instead got the 3130 gall tender - the one that doesn't have the rear toolbox!

Alan
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Thanks for confirming.

Jim
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

I have the LRM kit to build as preserved (don't hold your breath, it's been in the cupboard 27 years so far). The plan is to use a heavily modified Tri-ang tender body on a scratchbuilt chassis.