Allocation of Brake Vans

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
lindsay_g

Allocation of Brake Vans

Post by lindsay_g »

A few years ago I picked up from the Wagons book that a particular brake van was allocated to Edinburgh Goods. At the time I didn't think much about it being Edinburgh Goods and not just Edinburgh. However, when amassing information in pursuit of making waterslide decals available for goods stock I came across another allocation of Carstairs Mineral. This made me think afresh - were some brake vans allocated to trains out of Edinburgh's Goods depot at Lothian Road and were others allocated to the mineral depot at Morrison Street? Other than the very vain hope of a photograph turning up of a brake van emblazoned with Edinburgh Mineral is there any other way of establishing that there would have been such an allocation?

Lindsay
David Blevins

Re: Allocation of Brake Vans

Post by David Blevins »

Not quite what you are looking for but a St Rollox Mineral Gartness Branch Brake Van was discussed under "Mystery Photograph" in 2013. It might help as it implies Goods Brake Vans were allocated to various Branches and Depots.

David Blevins.
Attachments
Gartness branch brake.JPG
Gartness branch brake.JPG (73.81 KiB) Viewed 862 times
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Several of the photos in the brake van section of the wagons book show vans designated for specific depots or routes, so it would seem to have been standard practice.

Jim W
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Agree with the observations above, but what I'm really trying to establish is if there might be any sort of records that would indicate that vans were designated to Edinburgh Mineral. Looking back now, I'm surprised that the Gartness van didn't make me rethink yet the Carstairs one did.

If I draw a blank I'm going to assume that, if the collective breadth and depth of knowledge that exists amongst the CRA Forum membership can't provide an answer, then the general populace are hardly likely to know either way. As such I'll finish a brake van designated to Edinburgh Mineral just for a wee bit of variety and with the off chance of it leading to discussion and if nothing else being able to explain that the Caley had 2 depots in Edinburgh long gone now with nothing extant to hint at their past existence.

Lindsay

P.S. Drove down Morrison Street today for the first time in months and was surprised to see how far the buildings on that site had advanced. Amazing how many years it has taken for something to be built permanently on the former yard.

P.P.S. Perhaps I should be ashamed to say that my former employer, Standard Life (something else that has disappeared), were probably responsible for sweeping away the last vestiges of the Goods presence in Lothian Road.
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

I would think that Brake Vans were normally allocated to a location from which traffic originated. And there wasn't much mineral traffic originating in Edinburgh.

Allan F
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Just to add another strand to this, can I draw readers' attention to the photograph on page 205 of Jim Summers' Operating book, part II? Here, poor old 4-wheel brake van no. 8 has come to grief, and it is not only lettered "Dundee West Goods" but also with the Guard's name - "T. Shepherd". The allocation of brake vans is clearly a complicated subject, the biggest problem being the small number of pictures available to illustrate the variations.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

I can see the argument for "Brake Vans normally allocated to a location from which (Mineral) Traffic originated" but what about Brake Vans were allocated to Individual Depots, Polmadie, etc., and allocated to Brakesman at these Depots, for their "Route" knowledge, i.e., Branches and the local working of the various sidings. I can recollect signing various individual lines of "Route Knowledge" which were very extensive even for Passenger Guards in the 1980's, which including sidings, loops, Junctions, and Stations. Once signed and depending on your seniority in the Guard/Brakesman hierarchy your area of work would have remained static, until further promotion up the ladder of Brakesman/Guard.
Worth considering ???

David Blevins.