Diagram 6 Stove Chimney

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
lindsay_g

Diagram 6 Stove Chimney

Post by lindsay_g »

Might anyone have any images that clearly show the shape and better still location of the Diagram 6 stove chimney? (I realise that this may have been altered whilst in service)

The image in the Wagons book suggests a squat but fairly wide chimney - modelled by Jim Watt and pictured in a 2013 thread. That image suggests the chimney was situated other than centrally. In the few other images I've seen the chimney cannot be seen or the roof of the van omitted. A drawing by John Boyle in the same thread shows a tall thin chimney located centrally.

Lindsay
jimwatt2mm

Re: Diagram 6 Stove Chimney

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I went by John's drawing.

Jim W
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Mmmm, your model looks closer to the image than the drawing (and was intended as complimentary). So far I'm doubting the drawing.

Lindsay

(P.S. Jim, there may be a name check in a forthcoming mag. ?!?)
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Unfortunately, neither of the two diagram 6 drawings shows the stove location or the pipe protruding from the roof. Given the internal layout of these vans, there was no reason for the stove to be offset from the centre line. The more modern diagrams 62 and 63 had the stove in the centre of the van. The short and quite large diameter pipe seems to be the norm in the photos where it is visible.

Best

Mike