Have I got the carriages right?

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Niall Ferguson

Have I got the carriages right?

Post by Niall Ferguson »

This a an image from The Transport Treasury of a 439 Class 0-4-4T on a train of 65ft stock between West Ferry (visible in the background) and Broughty Ferry (the path on the left is on an area known as the Grassy Beach). The number of the locomotive is illegible. The first carriage is a 65ft non-corridor, as, I think are the second and third ones - after that it is too difficult to distinguish the bogies. I think the leading carriage has 10 doors and as it is non-corridor it must be a Diag. 104 65ft composite with 4x1st and 6x3rd compartments and no lavatories. Second coach is probably a Diag. 101B 65ft 7-compartment non-corridor Brake Third. Then, possibly, comes another another Diag. 104, then another non-brake vehicle with a brake vehicle bringing up the rear. My guess (from the arrangement) would be that the rear four vehicles made up a set (there is a brake compartment at either end) whilst the leading carriage is a "strengthening" vehicle added at busy periods - it is unlikely to be a through coach as there is no lavatory accomodation.
Thoughts welcome.
Attachments
G03 Dundee-West Ferry 439 LMS on train Small.jpg
G03 Dundee-West Ferry 439 LMS on train Small.jpg (121.93 KiB) Viewed 413 times
John Duffy

Re: Have I got the carriages right?

Post by John Duffy »

Niall, sorry I can't help with the coaches but to clarify the location, I think the train is approaching West Ferry from Dundee but the station is to the East of Douglas Terrace which puts it beyond this area. With the curve in the background I suspect that is the Broughty Ferry Road bridge at Stannergate station that we are seeing. Beyond the signal post there is a wall to the side of the railway and a significant drop to the footpath. I think that is what is looking like a platform. I think the train is between Stannergate and West Ferry.

John
Niall Ferguson

Post by Niall Ferguson »

Thanks John, I think you are right about location
Niall
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

I think you're right about the carriage identities, Niall and I'd go along with your theory about the first one as a strengthener. Is it a Saturday morning or something like that? I don't suppose the picture is dated............

Best

Mike
Niall Ferguson

Post by Niall Ferguson »

No it isn't dated, Mike. I wonder if it is a Sunday and is the curious Blairgowrie to Carnoustie via Dundee (Tay Bridge) station (the West station being closed on Sundays as a "pooling" financial arrangement) during the summer for a few years from 1933. I have the Carriage Marshalling Circular for that sort of period somewhere and I recollect that there were 65ft carriage sets running over the Newtyle line in that period.
Niall