Correct Carriage Colours

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
AndrewsDad

Correct Carriage Colours

Post by AndrewsDad »

Apologies if this has already been asked elsewhere! Could someone advise on the correct colours for passanger carriages that were used on the Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie railway?
Hertfordshire Scouts are looking to carry out some much needed development work at Lochearnhead Station. Part of the proposals include a possible new accomodation building to replace an existing structure that is little more than a simple wooden shed.
Our Architect is proposing a stucture built to resemble a carriage with each "compartment" being a separate sleeping room. We are also considering a curved roof structure to add to the effect. We thought using the correct colours for the woodstain on the new structure would help to reflect some authenticity.
Kind Regards and thanks in anticipation.
Jim Summers

Re: Correct Carriage Colours

Post by Jim Summers »

An interesting project, especially as the Grangemouth Scouts in my youth used two rows of old Caledonian carriages, with a roof between them, as their Scout Hall. The compartments remained and were used, though not as sleeping berths.

As to colours, there is plenty written about that, but I suggest you would not go far wrong by copying the colours used on the two ex-Caledonian carriages which are preserved in the Museum of Scottish Railways at Bo'ness. I attach a photograph, compressed to get it on here. I am sure other members will have other photos which they can post.

Officially, back in 1957, British Railways described the colours as BS 9-093 (New Grey Mist) for light colour above the waistline, and BS 3-039 (Sepia) for the lower panels . That is quoted by the late Jim MacIntosh in his masterwork on liveries, but he does say that the sepia may lack a slight red tint which would come from its being a lake coat. Most of us would probably agree with that.

The BS numbers are from the British Standard BS 2660 issued in 1955, so there is a research project for a Scout to relate that to what B&Q may mix up for you.

Hope that helps a bit,
Best wishes,

Jim
Caley Coaches at Bo'ness #4 compressed.jpg
Caley Coaches at Bo'ness #4 compressed.jpg (89.82 KiB) Viewed 369 times
AndrewsDad

Post by AndrewsDad »

Thank you Jim. Very helpful.
Regards.
Gordon
AndrewsDad

Post by AndrewsDad »

Hi Jim (and others)
Following the earlier reply, I have been sent the attached scan of an old postcard.
This would appear to bear out your thoughts on the type of carriages (albeit only 1!) that visited Lochearnhead during it's open years.
I am pleased that Sepia is the dominant colour for the coaches. It appears from the picture that Sepia was the dominant colour for everything in those days!!

If the County Scout Executive (and the local Planners) agree to the proposals, I will, with their permission, share them on this forum.

kind regards
Gordon
Attachments
Lochearnhead Station.jpg
Lochearnhead Station.jpg (85.42 KiB) Viewed 271 times
Bill_Gensheet

Post by Bill_Gensheet »

Been looking through the Univ. Aberdeen George Washington Wilson (no relation) photographic collection for several railway subjects
https://abdn.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/di ... 4120005941
(note: search does not work until inside a 'sub-collection' - for Scotland that is at county level)

...and they have two for Lochearnhead:

https://abdn.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/vi ... 4820005941#?
(The well used one of the newly built station, train and contractors engine for the extension to Balquhidder)

https://abdn.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/vi ... 6530005941#?
(A 4 coach train on the viaduct - new to me)

Several of the other images are the originals of some common 'postcards', but the Univ Aberdeen files are scans from the original 10x8" plates and done very well.

be prepared to lose hours.....