Livery of Departmental/Engineers Vehicles

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
lindsay_g

Livery of Departmental/Engineers Vehicles

Post by lindsay_g »

Unless I've missed mention, I don't think there is any specific reference to the livery of Engineers/Departmental vehicles in either the Wagon or Livery books. Would I be correct in taking from that that all vehicles were painted in the red oxide livery? Or is it down to lack of evidence to the contrary? I'm thinking more of vehicles such as emergency vans, tools vans, stores train vans and perhaps any old deployed coaching stock, rather than vehicles much akin to goods stock such as ballast wagons or plough brake vans.

Actually, as far as old coaching stock is concerned, chassis were reused for such things as empty cask wagons and fish/milk trucks but is there any photographic evidence of old coaching stock being redeployed to Departmental use by the CR? There is an image of several old coaches forming part of a GSWR breakdown crane train, so I'm presuming they were not alone in this respect.

Lindsay
MIKEWILLIAMS

Re: Livery of Departmental/Engineers Vehicles

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

It's lack of evidence, Lindsay. Looking at the SRX photographs with diagram 7 breakdown vans (Wagon Book p.279 is one example), the colour tone looks the same as the adjacent wagons to me.

Lack of evidence again to be absolutely definite about the re-use of carriage underframes, but I don't think so. The diagram 7 vans were built on underframes akin to the diagram 13 rail wagons, and subsequent vehicles all had underframes with w-irons inside the solebars, so couldn't have been recycled underframes from the 1870's.

Best

Mike
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

Perhaps I wasn't too clear with what I was asking in the second para. Rather than coach chassis being recycled on Departmental stock, I was asking if there was any evidence of the Caley re-purposing whole coaches? The attached image shows 2 or 3 old GSWR coaches reused within a breakdown train.

Lindsay

GSWR1.jpg
GSWR1.jpg (52.41 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

The only conversions in CR times that I know of, Lindsay, were some D47 passenger brake vans to kitchen cars for brakedown trains in 1917 and saloon 1419 into a travelling dormitory (wagon book pp. 281-2). The LMS did quite a lot of conversions, as the transcript of the carriage register will tell you.

Best

Mike
RossB

Post by RossB »

Something I've wondered myself. When I built my kitchen car I opted for standard wagon oxide with red ends in the style of a break van as these retained their handbrake. I discounted retention of the full passenger livery due to the various bodywork alterations which were undertaken. The NPC brown could have been an option, I think this is what the LNWR used for some departmental coaches but as Mike says there is no evidence either way.
DSC_0480.JPG
DSC_0480.JPG (61.33 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
I'm planning on building an early 4-wheeler for use in departmental service at some point. My intention was to finish it in the brown carriage livery as withdrawn from passenger service. Presumably any old carriages or luggage vans cascaded into departmental service would have eventually received standard wagon oxide when a repaint was needed.

Ross