Pre-Drummond Open Wagon

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
theparley

Pre-Drummond Open Wagon

Post by theparley »

What load or loads were likely to have been carried in UN-SHEETED pre-Drummond open wagons ?
MIKEWILLIAMS

Re: Pre-Drummond Open Wagon

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

From information in Pickering despatch records and traffic records at Panmure, Doune, Muir of Ord and Callander Junction, open goods wagons (not just pre-diagram book ones, which were treated identically to Diagrams 15 and 24) had the following unsheeted loads.

Timber, including sleepers and pit props
Scrap metal and hammer scale
Wheels and axles
Casks and barrels
Empty carboys
Bricks
Pig iron
Sheep (suitably modified of course)

Best

Mike
theparley

Post by theparley »

Mike,

Thank you for your helpful loading suggestions for un-sheeted pre-Drummond wagons.

I have a total of nine TLM pre-Drummond open wagon plus one D15, so a dedicated rake seems appropriate. My first thought was that sleepers were favourite, although the recent Jim Watt pig iron postings gives food for thought. Questions arise:

1) Would the sleepers have been banded and crane lifted in or hand-balled ? Either way, what measures would be taken to avoid shunting damage to the wagon.
2) I read somewhere that pig iron journeys were short (from pig iron production to rolling mill ?). In late nineteenth century Scotland, where might these journeys begin and end.

Douglas Teenan
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Hello Douglas

I don't have any pictures of open wagons loaded with sleepers (does anyone out there have one?) but sleepers were too long to load transversely. You may be interested in this picture, which shows how lengths of timber were loaded. The overhang was to the rear when the train was in motion.
DS090996 comp.jpg
DS090996 comp.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
I think open wagons were used as a last resort for pig iron traffic. They would have been much more difficult to hand load with their high sides. And yes, you're right about the short trips. The demurrage dispute documentation of 1910 shows trains of wagons loaded with pig iron leaving the Coltness Works at Newmains for Newton, Mossend and Motherwell.

Best

Mike
Orraman

Post by Orraman »

Can you tell us where and when your picture was taken?

The range of companies wagons shown is quite wide ranging.

Thanks
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

It's part of an NRM photo, entitled Birmingham Central Goods from Severn Street 26th September 1922.

Best

Mike
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

MIKEWILLIAMS wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:11 pm shows how lengths of timber were loaded. The overhang was to the rear when the train was in motion.
There is an article in TTL 28 showing how timber etc. was to be loaded. The original booklet from which it was taken is now in the CRA archive Ref CRA3/3/1/58.

Jim
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

The issue I find with the TLM wagons is that resin models are very light. So I made a crate from styrene sheet and filled it with some lead sheet. Properly roped down the load is actually the load.

Pictures on here are small but this gives an idea;

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... en-wagons/