Grampian coach at Bolton

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
jimwatt2mm

Grampian coach at Bolton

Post by jimwatt2mm »

A fellow 2FS modeller has sent me this scan with the following message (edited):-

For many years I have been trying to identify a coach in pictures of a RCTS rail tour at Bolton Great Moor Street. This is in ‘Scenes from the past:10 Railways in and Around Bolton’. The caption says its 4th April 1959, but this is wrong as it shows ex L & Y 2-4-2T no. 50644, withdrawn c. October 1958. After a bit of digging I managed to find out that the railtour was a RCTS Manchester and District tour dated 26 July 1953.

Anyway, I was fairly certain that the mystery coach was ex Caledonian because of the style similarities, but I couldn’t find an exact match. .... I then had a close look at the Caledonian coaches in Historic Carriage drawings, and final realised that the coach in the pic is a Grampian 12 wheel BCK, or at least I am sure it is.

My question is why and what was it doing in Bolton?

The coach in question would appear to be a Dia 95 brake composite as he suggests. I have proposed to him that in LMS days anything could end up anywhere, and even more so in BR days.

I thought this might be of interest and if anyone has anything to add I will pass it on.

Jim W
jimwatt2mm

Re: Grampian coach at Bolton

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Sorry everyone, I forgot to include the scan last night. just realised it after I had switched my computer off. C-nile virus again! :oops:
CR coach 001.jpg
CR coach 001.jpg (93.04 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
I have a higher resolution version I can send by email if anyone wants it.

Jim
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Would agree it is a "Grampian" BCK but whether it is D95 or D95A is hard to see even from the higher resolution scan. They were very similar as the attached drawings will show.
D95H248.pdf
(247.81 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
D95A.pdf
(240.26 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
If I were to plump for one it would be D95 as I _think_ there are 4 panels next to the double doors.

What was it doing in Bolton? I suggest it was a high capacity coach for which there was no regular duty by that time in its life and thus ideal for a railtour. Does anyone have access to the RCTS journal which covers the tour? More detail might be found there.

Jim Smellie
BrianSmith

Post by BrianSmith »

I agree that it looks like a Dia.95 BCK, at such a late time in it’s career and long gone from top link work, I’m sure it was almost normal too find pre-grouping vehicles far from they’re original territory but still in the former LMS areas.

I did find this information about the tour on Six Bells Junction which includes an anecdote on how the over length train was dealt with at Bolton Great Moor St.
https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/50s/530726rc.html

BrianSmith