Buffer beam lamp irons

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
jimwatt2mm

Buffer beam lamp irons

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I'm currently building a model of CR426, a 417 class 2-4-0 as rebuilt by Drummond with Drummond boiler and Stirling cab using the photo on P144 of 'The Formative Years' as a guide and employing some etches the late John Boyle get reduced from his artwork for me. The story of the build is here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... ass-2-4-0/. Studying the photo I noticed that the 'bow tie' route indicator was positioned in the centre of the buffer beam. As we all know, CR locos did not carry lamp irons on the buffer beam in CR days. Studying some of the other 2-4-0 photos in the book it is possible to discern what may be a lamp iron on some of them, but the side on view means that area isn't clear (e.g p 145), but it may just be the upstanding 'D' link. The cover photo of the book, however shows a central lamp iron on 2-2-2 No. 82. The question arises as to why these two particular locos (and possibly others) had such a lamp iron?

A possible answer might be found by turning to the second Volume of Jim S's 'Operating The Caledonian Railway'. Appendix V on p 234 shows the various positions of the arms for the various routes. In the Edinburgh section the indication for trains to Gourock and Dumbarton or Balloch are the same, as is the indicator from Glasgow and from Gourock and Dumbarton but with the note that Gourock trains were to have it at the foot of the chimney, while for Balloch trains it was to be on the centre of the buffer beam.

Given the general absence of a buffer beam lamp iron, how was the indicator for Balloch trains fixed in place? Was such a lamp iron only fitted to any locos likely to be used on trains to/from Edinburgh and Balloch?

Jim W
Alan K

Re: Buffer beam lamp irons

Post by Alan K »

Jim this has come up before recently - see 'CR Semaphore Route Indicators' from Jan 2021 - can't remember how to do the link!

Alan
John Duffy

Post by John Duffy »

Link here

John
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Thanks, John and Alan. I must have missed that, or, more likely, the old memory is acting up again! Either way, my model of 426 has been fitted with a central lamp iron on the buffer beam! I have a copy (from the old OPC source) of the Drummond GA for the jumbo and now see the lamp iron mentioned in that thread.

Jim W