White wheel rims.

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
jimwatt2mm

White wheel rims.

Post by jimwatt2mm »

A topic has arisen on RMWeb https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/172032-wh ... nt-4824944 regarding white wheel rims on wagons. As an example of a wagon in service with white rims I posted a scan of ballast wagon 9367 from the SRO collection. One poster has suggested that this wagon my be either blue or green as it is very pale, based on :-
1) some companies painted service vehicles in a different colour to revenue earning stock.
2) the way photographic emulsions of the time rendered colours in monochrome

I have tried to counter this by saying that a) I understood all CR wagons were painted red oxide (other than gunpowder vans) and b) it is either very faded or has a patina of white ballast dust.

Am I correct in this and is there any evidence that service wagons were not red oxide?

Jim W
Dave John

Re: White wheel rims.

Post by Dave John »

Well, I ended up on that topic in RMweb too Jim.

If CR engineering wagons were a different colour then surely over the years someone would have said so ? I have never read any reference that suggests they were in anything other than red oxide. That said my experience of red oxide in historic buildings does suggest it faded to a distinct pink over time.

The paint specification for white wheel rims is mentioned in the wagon book, it specifically calls for tires to be white. Surely if it was just the first wagon of a batch for photographic use it would have said so ?

Looking through the pictures I have access to I can see plenty of newly painted wagons which have very white tires. There are many more where the tire appears to be a bit lighter than the rest of the wheel, greyish. And of course plenty more where the rust and grime has won in the end.

I suppose that from a pragmatic modelling point of view you just need to decide whether you want newly painted, mid life or old and weather to suit.
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

I haven't come across any alternative suggestion to red oxide for service vehicles. There is an earlier reference than the 1903 painting specification to white tyres. I quoted in the wagon book that an article in the Locomotive Magazine in 1897 stated that the tyres of wagons were white. This is the earliest reference, as far as I know.

Best

Mike
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Thanks, Mike.

I was pretty sure I was on solid ground.

Jim