Nomenclature of locomotive types

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Jim Summers

Nomenclature of locomotive types

Post by Jim Summers »

The CR Mineral Timetable refers to Small Tank Engines, First Class Tank Engines, Special Class Tank Engines, and New Eight-coupled Tank Engines.

The last of these is straighforward, but can anyone point to a document stating which of the locomotive classes were embraced in the other definitions?

For example, was a Class 782 0-6-0T a "Special Class Tank Engine", as I suspect?

JimS
MIKEWILLIAMS

Re: Nomenclature of locomotive types

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Can I suggest that the Small tank Engine was an 0-4-0ST or one of the two 0-4-2STs. This is based on the accident report that I recounted in TTL about the accident at Cairnhill Junction.

A similar nomenclature exists for tender locomotives - New Goods Engine, First Class Engine, Eight wheel Coupled Engine, Special Class Engine, Condensing Engine. Campbell's Jumbo book's chapter on allocation and working lists trips that were all assigned to "New Goods Engine" but what was so new about a Jumbo in 1905 escapes me - perhaps they had been so described since the Mineral Timetables of late 1880s.

Best

Mike
Jim Summers

Re: Nomenclature of locomotive types

Post by Jim Summers »

Yes, Mike,

I have no difficulty in agreeing that the Small Tank category is probably the ones you suggest.

Actually I have been discussing these terms with Campbell who confesses that he himself is not entirely clear on the tank engines, pointing out that the staff would know what was meant all right by these designations both tender and tank, and that was the main purpose.

However, just to stick myown neck out, my thoughts are:

1 - Small Tank Engines - as you suggest, the 0-4-0STs and the like;

2 - First Class Tank Engines - the Jubilee tanks and the sundry predecessors thereof;

3 - Special Class Tank Engines - the 782 Class, which were a numerous class and are referred to more than any others in the Mineral Timetable (but if they were common as muck, then what was "Special"? A decent enclosed cab?);

4 - New EIght-coupled Tank Engines - well, no mistaking those.

That makes me wonder where the Class 498 outside cylinder 0-6-0Ts would be allocated? They had a specially short wheelbase for dock working, were chunky machines for all their short wheelbase, and, unusually, had outside cylinders. So, a bit special and could go where others dared not tread.

Discuss!

JimS